Help my ac went down

Old 09-18-03, 08:49 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
Question Help my ac went down

Hey good folk I need help!!!! Living in South Florida with no ac is not fun !! And to be honest I am not the most handy guy around , to cut a long story short I came home to a 90 degree house when I checked the unit out back i could hear the motor running but the fan wasn't spinning I went to the breakers turned it off then back on ........ still nothing I plan to call in the calvary soon ( like tomorrow ) but was wondering if anyone out there had any advice or suggestions for me

Old 09-18-03, 09:23 PM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you saying the compressor was running but not the outside fan? Is the inside fan running? Any breakers (all 3 of them) tripped?

Old 09-18-03, 09:26 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
The inside fan is running fine ... forgive me am not very technical but am not sure if the comp is running

Old 09-18-03, 09:38 PM
T
There will be a double pole breaker in the panel labeled AC. Reset that breaker. There may also be a breaker in the outside disconnect (next to the outside unit). Reset that one also. Did you notice any icing anywhere? Do you hear a hum when you're next to the outside unit?
If not it looks like either you lost power to the outside unit or something electrical must have happend (contactor, transformer). Unfortunately I'm not a HVAC expert, so my knowledge is not that great....

Old 09-18-03, 09:42 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
I can hear a humming ( that was earlier this evening ) no breakers were tripped no icing just the smell of something burning ( very slight odor) .... even though u might not be a pro u know much more than I do thanks for replying

Old 09-18-03, 09:54 PM
T
If you hear humming when the unit is calling for cool then you probably lost the motor run capacitor for the fan. You can tell if that's the case pretty easily if you open the unit. You'll see something that looks like a soda can. You should of course shut off the power to the unit, the compressor doesn't work very well without the fan to keep it cool.

Old 09-19-03, 02:53 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
Unhappy More info on my ac

Ok i did a little research it seems as if my heat pump is messing up I have a old (1984) carrier 38en (38en030300) series heat pump when i turn the breaker on the fan doesn't spin but i hear a humming noise. Does anyone have any advice/suggestions for me ??? HELP!!!!

Old 09-19-03, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ac

Does it sound like the compressor is running?? If so you can try and push the fan bladeswith a small stick the way they go and see if the fan will run. Now look out when you do this.If it runs you might only need a fan capacitor. If it dont shut the unit down till you can get some one to look at it

Old 09-19-03, 03:16 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
Thanks i tried the stick on the fans nothing happened so i am calling the service man

Old 09-20-03, 07:45 PM
Let us know what came up on the service call of your unit...

Old 09-20-03, 07:48 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
Will do they will be here on monday

Old 09-23-03, 06:43 PM
soFlnewcomer
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Got it fixed !!

Thanks to all who offered advice. It was the fan motor, cost me 200 to replace still cheaper than replacing the whole thing

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: