relocating unit

Old 09-19-03, 10:47 AM
mrblonde108
Visiting Guest
relocating unit

I have a ducane unit and want to relocate. I don't want to cut the lines and have freon come out. Is there a procedure or do i just shut the valves and cut the lines?

thanks in advance

I'm an electrician and know basic about hvac.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-03, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC

You cant just cut the lines. You have to be EPA to work on an AC unit. If it could be they can pump it down or recover the freon.
Then you can do what you want with the lines. Then the lines and coil has to be vacuumed out before the freon is put back in ED

Old 09-19-03, 12:18 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
After you have the freon removed, cut the line and crimp it tightly closed on each side. Try to minimize the time the system will spend disconnected. The longer the system spends open, and even crimped over it is open, the worse. If you can get the A/C tech who removes the freon to purge the system with nitrogen, so much the better. Opening a vacuumed system to the atmosphere will suck a lot of crud into it.

Old 09-21-03, 11:58 AM
mrblonde108
Visiting Guest
thank guys i was wondering how to pump it down. the unit has valves to close the lines and keep freon in the compressor. Im just wondering how to "pump it down"

And if u have to be EPA how come they sell DIY freon kits in Walmart for cars.

thanks again

Old 09-21-03, 12:38 PM
Exclamation A/C

If you look that car kit is for R-134, now that you can mess with. But when it come to R-12 old freon on the outlawed list or R-22 and R-410a or the others You have to be EPA to work on it at all. If you work on the units freon side you stand to get a $10k fine ED

Old 09-21-03, 08:34 PM
mrblonde108
Visiting Guest
10k dollar fine.lol where am i gonna get 10k form lol Screw the EPA.

Now all i want is to know how to "pump it down"

I know its something like turning the unit on and closing the high side til its barely openthen closingn it ,trapping the freon inside.

help me

Old 09-21-03, 08:38 PM
mrblonde108
Visiting Guest
Old 09-22-03, 04:45 AM
Have fun mr.blonde. We are not here to give information for you to do something illegal.

Old 09-26-03, 10:21 AM
mrblonde108
Visiting Guest
Sorry I'm a Classic American. I believe in liberty and not being a lap dog subject of politicians like yourself. Any fool can make a rule and any fool will mind it. Besided this is the DIY forum not homeland security.

Now for anyone who doesn't have a vagina in between his legs....

I completed the procedure yesterday.

Here's how. Screw.the caps off the high and low lines. You going to need a set of allen keys. Turn the high side completely off(the skinny line) Turn the low side(the fat line) to just barely open. Put the gauge on. It should read around 100psi. have someone turn the a/c on. The system will start"pumping down" and it will go to from around 100 to zero. Right before it hits zero close the valves all the way and shut system down immedialtely by pulling the breaker or having someone to shut it off at the thermostat. *remember you want to shut the valve before it hits zero or air will be sucked in which would screw everything up*. Cut the lines with a tube cutter and use some plastic and tape to keep debris out of line.

Old 09-26-03, 10:39 AM
AC PUMP DOWN

Well MRSBlonde108 So you know it all . Just where did you suck all that air in and screw up everything. Sounds like you should go back to school and get EPA 'd for this job ED

Old 09-26-03, 12:06 PM
mrblonde108
Visiting Guest
OH Ed your another HVAC joikoff lol No wonder!Mattison is another one.

Only difference between r-134 and the rest is that the little ***** HVAC association lobbyed the government to try to monopolize an industry. People who go running to guberment for protectionism are spineless turds.

Heh Heh us DIY'ers are gonna put you out of business. I promise to do my part.

Sincerely,
Mr Blonde