Insulating Ducts in Crawl Space

Old 05-17-00, 07:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The ducts in my crawl space are dripping from the AC. Of course, there is only dirt below the ducts which is asorbing all of this moisture. How do I insulate the ducts, what material do I use? Do I need to have the AC checked? Also-do I need to put down some type of barrier on the dirt floor of the crawl space? Any info. would be greatly appreciated!!!! A Crazy Woman in KS.

Old 05-18-00, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Just use 1-1/2 foil face insul to wrap the duct keeping the foil to the outside adding a n air run to your crawl space may sound silly but it should help to stop the condensation on the duct runs
Good Luck

Old 05-22-00, 07:12 AM
Visiting Guest
Louie:
Thank you for your reply. I really apppreciate your assistance.

P.J. Boggs
Wichita, KS

Old 05-22-00, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Condensation on AC ducts/water pipes in the crawlspace is from air and ground humidity. Insulate ducts (do NOT run an AC duct under your house), calculate the cubic footage (heighth X width X length) of crawlspace, and install an exhaust fan of sufficient cubic-feet-per-minute capacity in crawlspace opening and open other vents wide. Check with someone like W. W. Grainger for recommended fan size. Much more energy efficeint. In KS, it may be more from ground moisture, and a vapor barrier on crawlspace ground may help, also. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: