New A/C Unit Smells

Old 09-21-03, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New A/C Unit Smells

It sounds funny and I'm sure there is an obvious explanation, but a day after running my new A/C, the whole place smells. I had to turn it off and open all the windows back up. Also, no water is running out the back like it should.

The unit is a Fedders A6T12F2A, 12K

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-03, 09:27 PM
Hi Loren,

Me again!

I can't think of ANYTHING off hand why this would smell, and it's new!

Window A/C don't drop water off the back.. It use the water, and throws it onto the Condensor Coil to help cool it down.

Smell coming right out of the vent blowing.. or just in the air in the area?

Old 09-22-03, 12:32 PM
Hi Jay,

The smell seemed to be coming from the unit although it wasn't real strong if I put my face up to the the place where the air comes out. Then, when I turned the thermostat up to 68, and put the A/C in energy-saving mode, the smell went away and the house just smelled musty again.

If window A/C's don't drop water out the back, then why does the portion that sits outside need to be at a downward angle? (The installation directions said to slope the back of the A/C down about five degrees or half a bubble on a level)

Thanks so much for your help. You've been really helpful!

Loren

Old 09-22-03, 01:10 PM
A/C

The A/C has to have a small tilt to the back so the water that comes off the coil will run to the outside.Then like Jay said it slings it up into the hot condenser coil on the out side there. Now if it has to much water to get rid of then you will see some water run out the outside there. Dont know, but you do have the right voltage for the unit there so its not a motor that you smell? ED

Old 09-22-03, 02:10 PM
The smell may be is from the damp coil just after the compressor shuts off.. that coil will dry up after a few min.

When you set the fan on saver, the air in the room then is dead.. it will become a musty smell.. So you may have some old carpet that may be damp and giving off the musty smell..

Reason you need to tilt the unit is let the water run off from insdie of the unit to the outside.. If you don't tilt it, you will have water dripping in the house on to the walls.

68 sounds pretty cool for A/C.. we runs ours about 75 to 77...

Old 09-23-03, 01:38 PM
To Ed,
How do I know whether it's the proper voltage? The instruction booklet said it needed it's own circuit, but the unit has a regular plug, not like a washing machine plug

To Ed and Jay,
How do I know whether it is tipped enough? Could the water be running into the window sill and causing the smell?

Also, when you turn the unit off, what happens to the left-over water? I don't want it to grow mold.

To Jay,
Don't know about damp coils, the unit had been running for almost twenty-four hours, without m there when I came in. Is 68 too hard to maintain? Was I overworking the motor?

Thanks for replying
Loren

Old 09-23-03, 10:02 PM
You odn't need to have it tipped too much.. just enough for the water to run out of the inside coil side..

when the fan is off, the water willll drip off the coil, and run outside.. no need worry abotu mold.. That's why you need to fush/wash the unit once a year..

The moister will alway be on the cool coil when it runs.. like a cold Coke can sweeting. when the compressor shuts off.. the coil kinda warms up and it's letting off the moister that's left on the coil.

where are you from? To me 68 is too cold for the A/C.. like I said before. we runs ours at about 77... 75..

Old 09-24-03, 08:49 PM
I am in the northeast. I turned the unit on yesterday and ran it at 75, but it didn't seem to be doing anything. I mean I don't think the compressor was on. So I turned it down to 72 and turned the fan up to medium. Also, I heard a LOT of water gurgling up inside of it when I turned it on. Then I looked out the window and realized it had rained the night before so there was probably extra water in it from that.

I'm going to check the outlet voltage. Could it be possible that the wiring is old and therefore getting HOT and causing the smell? (the old unit was 12K also but old).

The other explanation is that the unit is pulling in gas from the propane stove or tank out side (tank is about 6 feet from the back of the unit.) and that is causing the smell. Those are my latest guesses!

Thanks for your explanation of what happens to the water in the unit. I've heard the best setting for dehumidifying action on an A/C is "low." What does that mean? A high temp, like 75, or a low fan setting?

The unit couldn't cool adequatley on a low fan setting. I'd have to start with high then switch it to low after the house was cool.

Loren

Old 09-24-03, 11:26 PM
What's your outside temp you have?

On our unit.. Our is a Maytag, but made by Fedders.. We have "auto" on the fan selection.. along with Low and High.. We run the "AUTO".. What that does is turn the fan on a speed that is needed..

So if the room temp is (I think) 3 degree's over setting, fan will kick into High speed.. When it's with in, then it will run on low.

Yes, it's true the unit will pull more moister out of the air on low speed.

Old 09-29-03, 04:34 PM
The outside temperature, of course, is dropping as we get further into fall. The gas man came today and replaced the tank and regulator (gas has not been on since BEFORE i put the A/C unit in. I will check to see whether there is an "auto" setting, but I will need to use the "low" fan setting if that's the one that dehumidifies. I'll let you know if I learn anything new. Again, thanks for your help.

Old 09-29-03, 05:15 PM
Question A/C

Gas man was here?????????????do you have LP gas there????could that be what the smell was. Cant say why or how but when Lp tanks get low they do have a smell about them. You sure you dont have that intake air or sometimes its caled makeup air door open on this unit that takesair in from out side? ED

Old 09-30-03, 08:59 PM
Hi, I don't know what LP gas is. I don't have natural gas if that's what you mean. I understand that the other kind of gas has something in it it on purpose to make it smell bad, so you won't accidentally die of gas inhallation if there is a leak. However, my gas tank was 3/4 full. It was only the valve that was leaking. Again, I don't know whether the makeup air or intake air door is open. I will check that. Thanks!

Loren