Cleaning the inside coils

Old 05-26-00, 08:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Earlier this year I had my downstairs A/C serviced because no cold air was coming through the vents. I was told that the freon was full, the a/c unit was fine but that I needed the the coils cleaned. These coils, apparently, are located above a panel in my downstairs bathroom ceiling. I would like to clean them myself instead of paying the $75 to have them cleaned. I am not sure of what I should be looking for when I remove the panel from the ceiling. What kind of equipment might be up there and how can I tell what the coils are? are they easy to clean? I would appreciate any help

Old 05-27-00, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Melanie, its not a hard job, but you need the proper cleaning agents to do a good job.. and to get the crude out from between the fins its important to do it right so as not to plug it up further. you can try a mixture of like top job, mr clean , mean green and warm water mixed in a spray bottle.. i use a garden sprayer my self.make sure the power is turned off before opening or wetting down the coil. now you will have to wet the coil down, and let it soak a bit, its easier to clean if the A/C has run for a few days. a soft brush also helps to remove the crude, but be real careful as not to cut your self or bend the fins.... i cut fron the coil can not only be nasty and painful, you will have a hard time getting it to heal . infection will start in the cut. after you are sure its clean rinse off the coil, let it air dry for a few hours and restart it.

Good Luck! I think after you try to do this, you will spend the 75 to get it done

Old 05-27-00, 06:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Melanie M.

The information posted by R-12 is correct.

What your looking for is an A frame of coils with very thin and fragile fins. These will be located directly above the heating unit behind a panel.

Carefully remove the screws then the panel. Remember where any other parts you have to remove go and put everything removed into a container so as not to lose them.

After the cleaning is completed, be positive you re-installed everything back the way it was. Be sure also that the panel is sealed completely around.

Once you do this once, you may not find it so difficult, based on the location of the unit and other factors. If so, you saved a few bucks.

If not, you may discover it's worth the bucks to have it done.

Good Luck

Old 05-27-00, 05:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

One thing you might look at as a cleaning agent is something used in the auto body trade.

It is called Dupont 3919 S Prep - Sol Solvent

You can get it at any auto body supply store that supply auto repair, painting, etc. Look in the yellow pages.

Used to clean a car before painting, sanding or repairs.

You can imagine what is on there, road tar, films, etc. Cuts through just about anything with oil, grease or hydrocarbon base.

Even will take off most glues and adhesives.

Not very toxic, folks work with it everyday without gloves or breathing protection.

Not very expensive - Around $6-7 gallon.

The only thing I don't know if I would heat the coil with it on there. Maybe something to look into for those effects.

Does a super job, I've used it to clean all sorts of tough jobs. Thought I would pass it along. Might work good for that application.

Maybe she can save that $75 afterall.

Old 05-28-00, 04:44 AM
Visiting Guest
I would want to know what effect it would have on copper and alunimum

Old 05-28-00, 08:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

None, never found a negative to the stuff. Have used it for years.

Never found it to affect any type of material.

Think it probably has a freon base chemically somehow but doesn't seem to have the properties of a freon product.

Sort of my concern for heating it. Who knows what the vapor pressure / boiling point of the stuff is? May have never be designed to be used on heated surfaces, isn't normally in the auto body trade.

One probably always wants to do a good soap and water wash after using it. Both to the item cleaned and yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: