Gas air conditioning

Old 05-27-00, 09:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi I am thinking of having a home built in a Florida community. The developer tells me that the home is total "natural gas" except of course for the lighting. The all gas concept would include the cooking range, clothes dryer and air conditioner which the developer says is more efficient and less expensive than electric.

I have never hear of a gas air conditioner is this something new? Is the developers claim of "less expensive and more efficient" accurate? To make the home all electric the developer would charge me $2300 - Thanks for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-00, 04:33 PM
Visiting Guest
The all gas is correct... my Grand parents lived in Washington DC and they had a total gas house, with gas refrigerator. A friend of mine had a gas A/C, and that was 20 years ago..

Old 05-27-00, 08:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:cojo34613

Gas air conditioning isn't anything new. They have been around long before electrics.

They use to be called ammonia chillers/coolers since ammonia water was used as the heat absorbing liquid.

They where very popular during the housing boom of the late 40's and early 50's and into the early 60's in many area's.

They work very well and with less moving parts and energy draw. They are recently making a come back into the market place in many area's.

My suggestion would be to have it installed while the house is being built as suggested by the builder.

Have to also mention that I happen to be in the natural gas industry, just to be fair here. Fact is: I am an energy technician and consultant.

Thought you might like to know but hope this doesn't alter your choice either. I do try to be unbiased.

Good Luck
TomBartco

Old 05-28-00, 11:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi Tom

Thanks for the reply. I take your word as an ubiased professional. A couple more questions if you don't mind. Can ANY A/C technician service and repair a gas air conditioner? When you say "less energy draw" do you mean less expensive to operate than electric? Is gas A/C as efficient (or better) as electric A/C?

Thanks again

Joe C.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TomBartco:

Gas air conditioning isn't anything new. They have been around long before electrics.

They use to be called ammonia chillers/coolers since ammonia water was used as the heat absorbing liquid.

They where very popular during the housing boom of the late 40's and early 50's and into the early 60's in many area's.

They work very well and with less moving parts and energy draw. They are recently making a come back into the market place in many area's.

My suggestion would be to have it installed while the house is being built as suggested by the builder.

Have to also mention that I happen to be in the natural gas industry, just to be fair here. Fact is: I am an energy technician and consultant.

Thought you might like to know but hope this doesn't alter your choice either. I do try to be unbiased.

Good Luck
TomBartco
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 05-28-00, 11:15 PM
Visiting Guest

In reply to your question, can an electric A/C repairman service a gas A/C? Answer is: NO, unless the person is trained in both types of A/C units.

Is a gas A/C more energy efficent you ask?
Compared to an electric the answer would be NO.

However, in considering operating costs, the answer is both YES and NO. Getting a little confussing here? Well it is because it's based on several factors. Hopefully well explained below.

Yes it uses far less electric since the electric runs only a fan and a pump but not a compressor. It's the compressor that uses lots of electric in an electric A/C.

However, it does use natural gas to cool. So what it saves in electric, by not running a compressor to romove heat from the freon, it uses in natural gas to remove heat from the ammonia water solution.

Therefore, you have to now consider two energy costs, electric and gas. Based on those costs, which very from state to state and area to area and season to season, keep in mind those costs can vary considerably.

Overall, gas offen comes out the least expensive to operate and almost alway's to maintain but not nearly as efficient as an electric A/C unit but close.

Hope this information is well explained, answers your questions and helps you better decide which system suits your needs best.

Have more questions? Ask. Once again my pleasure to help you.

Good Luck
TomBarcto

Old 05-29-00, 12:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Another form of gas A/C uses a gas powered
engine to drie a conventional compressor.