fan blower for furnace runs all the time

Old 06-07-00, 07:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

My furnace blower (fan) that circulates the air runs all the time even if the thermostat is switched to off and auto. I always have it on auto and not fan but no matter if it is in the off/heat/or cool position the fan runs continuously. I have to have the I guess its called emergency switch on the outside of the furnace off. Any suggestions of what the problem might be?

Old 06-07-00, 07:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:chris_dunn33

The problem you discribe is most likely a stuck fan switch.

This gem is located behind the front decorate cover. Remove it and look for a metal box attached to the furnace. It will have a cover on it and the cover will be held in plce by two screws.

Next time the fan blower won't turn off, mildly rap this box with a closed fist using the back of your hand. If this rap turns the fan off...it's the fan switch causing the problem. It will need to be replaced.

CAUTION:
DO NOT remove the cover with the furnace plugged in! Behind this cover is full house current!

Planning to replace this switch yourself?
Unplug the furnace FIRST!
Remove the cover. Draw a diagram of all the wires, colors and locations before removing any.
Remove the switch, replace it with a new one.
The part is available at any appliance retail parts store listed in the yellow pages.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant

Old 06-08-00, 05:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Tom, a gal had told me that she had the same problem yesterday and that someone came to her house and didnt even take a tool out he just messed with what she referred to as a relay (circuit board) and it worked. I went home and took the cover to the furnace off
and on the right side where on the outer side my furnace switch(that looks like a regular light switch) on that inside part that attaches to that outside switch I just jiggled stuff a little and replace the cover and then went to the thermostat and turned it on and now it is working but now it seems that when the air ran it was cooling anything down it was somewhat but not like usual?

quote:<HR>Originally posted by TomBartco:

The problem you discribe is most likely a stuck fan switch.

This gem is located behind the front decorate cover. Remove it and look for a metal box attached to the furnace. It will have a cover on it and the cover will be held in plce by two screws.

Next time the fan blower won't turn off, mildly rap this box with a closed fist using the back of your hand. If this rap turns the fan off...it's the fan switch causing the problem. It will need to be replaced.

CAUTION:
DO NOT remove the cover with the furnace plugged in! Behind this cover is full house current!

Planning to replace this switch yourself?
Unplug the furnace FIRST!
Remove the cover. Draw a diagram of all the wires, colors and locations before removing any.
Remove the switch, replace it with a new one.
The part is available at any appliance retail parts store listed in the yellow pages.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant
<HR>

Old 06-08-00, 06:44 PM
Visiting Guest

I may be a little confused here.

My first reply posting addresses the problem you discribed in your first posting. Based on the condition you discribed there, my posting does offer an answer/solution to that problem.

I am referring to that GEM called a fan switch located in the box attached to the center front panel inside the furnace. NOT the light switch looking switch that faces outside.

In your second posting the problem discription gets convoluted and
sounds like a totally different condition.

First off, that switch you mentioned <the one that looks like an ordinary light switch> is in fact just that. It acts merely as an electricial break between the house current and the heater.

It is possible a loose wire in that box that houses the switch MAY have allowed the fan to run continuously, but highly unlikely.

Then you mentioned the air isn't as cool/cooling anything??? like it use to???

Are you referring to a heater with Air Conditioning also??? Does the condition you discribe with the fan blower always running apply to both heating and cooling cycles???

Doesn't really matter much which cycle, if the question is still why the blower fan keeps running, if it still does??? and after you just fixed it?

FYI:
In an effort for me to fully understand the condition/symptom of your furnace, I had to totally disregarded the first sentence in your second post. The gals furnace condition and yours may not have the same problem.

Therefore, since I want to help you and not dilute your furnaces condition with another person's furnace problem, kindly repost exactly what is your furnace's current symptoms and conditions. I will then attempt to assist you further.

Sincerely,
TomBartco

Old 06-09-00, 06:32 AM
Visiting Guest
My blower fan seems to be working fine now. The problem that I first posted was that no matter what the thermostat was set on (cool, heat, or off) the blower fan continiuosly ran non stop. I had to turn the light switch on the outside of the furnace off in order to keep the blower from going. All that I did was remove the furnace cover and tried to move the wires a bit, I then replaced the cover and since then the furnace blower works as it should. My new question for you has nothing to do with that problem. When I run my air (we are having 90 degree weather and a lot of humidity) down on the furnace there are gray colored ducts going up from it and there seems to be 1 little spot on the corner of the duct that is dripping a little drip that leaves a little silver dollar sized puddle on top of the furnace. this seems to happen when I get home from work and turn on the air after the house is very warm about 80 all day and the air has run for a couple hours. Is this something that you would say is normal? I hope that I am explaining well enough. I do appreciate your help. Thanks Chris

I may be a little confused here.

My first reply posting addresses the problem you discribed in your first posting. Based on the condition you discribed there, my posting does offer an answer/solution to that problem.

I am referring to that GEM called a fan switch located in the box attached to the center front panel inside the furnace. NOT the light switch looking switch that faces outside.

In your second posting the problem discription gets convoluted and
sounds like a totally different condition.

First off, that switch you mentioned <the one that looks like an ordinary light switch> is in fact just that. It acts merely as an electricial break between the house current and the heater.

It is possible a loose wire in that box that houses the switch MAY have allowed the fan to run continuously, but highly unlikely.

Then you mentioned the air isn't as cool/cooling anything??? like it use to???

Are you referring to a heater with Air Conditioning also??? Does the condition you discribe with the fan blower always running apply to both heating and cooling cycles???

Doesn't really matter much which cycle, if the question is still why the blower fan keeps running, if it still does??? and after you just fixed it?

FYI:
In an effort for me to fully understand the condition/symptom of your furnace, I had to totally disregarded the first sentence in your second post. The gals furnace condition and yours may not have the same problem.

Therefore, since I want to help you and not dilute your furnaces condition with another person's furnace problem, kindly repost exactly what is your furnace's current symptoms and conditions. I will then attempt to assist you further.

Sincerely,
TomBartco
<HR>

Old 06-09-00, 08:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello:chris_dunn33

Thanks for the 3rd reply post. Clears up that matter and I am happy to know your furnace is running correctly.

In regards to the drip you noticed, part of an A/C units function is to remove moisture <humidity> from the air.

That drop is the condensation that is formed during the moisture removal process. Apparently, there is a excessive amount which is being blown upwards from the cooling coils and going into the ducting.

This is a condition which may be correctable by any A/C service person if it's severe enough or you can wait until the unit needs regular service and have the correction, if it's possible, done then.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 06-12-00, 05:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Tom, THanks so much for all your help, I really appreciate it! The dripping hasn't occured all weekend because I kept the air running at a steady pace instead of it trying so hard to cool down that humidity! We had hot hot 90 degree weather with high humidity. Thanks again......

Hello:chris_dunn33

Thanks for the 3rd reply post. Clears up that matter and I am happy to know your furnace is running correctly.

In regards to the drip you noticed, part of an A/C units function is to remove moisture <humidity> from the air.

That drop is the condensation that is formed during the moisture removal process. Apparently, there is a excessive amount which is being blown upwards from the cooling coils and going into the ducting.

This is a condition which may be correctable by any A/C service person if it's severe enough or you can wait until the unit needs regular service and have the correction, if it's possible, done then.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
<HR>

Old 08-01-09, 11:14 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fan Switch Update

Thanks for the help with this issue. I was having the same problem and shut the switch off and gave the control box a couple taps and turned it back on. Started the air conditioning and the fan kicked on and then shut the air off and the fan kicked off. Works great for now, I will know where the problem is next time it happens. Thanks again.

Old 08-01-09, 03:24 PM
D
The feedback that folks provide really helps.

Old 04-08-10, 07:43 PM
B
I am having the same problem as the OP and I had the switch with the rotary dial and three tabs set at different temperatures replaced about four years ago and now the problem came back a few months ago and a little tap would solve the problem but now I have to turn the breaker off to stop the blower. Can this switch be ordered cheaper online somewhere? I paid over 100.00 for the last one and I have been out of work for a long time and just cant afford a technician to replace it. My furnace is a Republic gas and probably 40 years old with central air added on, my thermostat is a Honeywell programmable. I can get exact model numbers when I get home if needed.

Old 10-20-10, 06:06 AM
L
helping those in need

I am a student in the building maintenance field and find your forums very helpful in my studies and troubleshooting. Thank You Tom!

Old 12-26-12, 07:22 AM
W
Switch

I'm having the same problem, however after looking behind the cover I found I have no "light switch". What now?

My unit is made by Bryant, model number FB4ANF048, serial # 1993A03493

to reiterate: heater blows, then stops blowing heat to blow cool air while fan stays on constantly.

Old 12-26-12, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
This thread is 12 yrs old. Please start a new thread by going to the correct topic and clicking the "New Thread" button. Please provide all needed info such as make and model and description of all symptoms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: