ILG fan help needed

Old 09-28-03, 10:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Question ILG fan help needed

Hi All,
This question is aimed at the "old-timers" on this board..
In my older house, I have a "Self-Cooled Motor Fan" kitchen exhaust fan made by ILG. The motor leads are very frayed, showing the bare wire. Normally I would simply replace the motor with a new one, but this motor has ball-bearings with three drilled and tapped holes 120 degrees apart around the outside of the motor. I can't seem to find a cross-match, and my local motor shop doesn't seem to want to touch it, and a web search shows no ILG company still in existance. Has anyone heard of this company, and if so, does anyone know anything about the company, or where motors could still be available? I would really like to restore this cast-aluminum fan if possible, as it is really well made and interesting to look at.
Thanks!

Old 10-13-03, 12:48 AM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
It will cost a lot more than a new motor and the shops are reluctant to quote repairs for small motors and then having customers become outraged. I suspect the motor shop will quote a fix...IF you promise not to go into sticker shock when you ask for a price.

Old 10-13-03, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fan may be made by ILG but the motor was most likely made by GE, Emerson, Marathon, Ajax, Fasco, etc.

I suggest that you get all the electrical specs that you can off of the motor and all the dimensions and look (again) for an equivalent replacement. The mounting may be the most difficult to match but someone like Grainger can match almost anything. Yours is on the small side but they do have a ton of motors to choose from. If you have it out already, take it along for reference. I'm surprised that your motor shop didn't find you a replacement since they know all about motors anyway.

Ken

Old 10-13-03, 10:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I finally convinced my local motor shop to fix the motor after an exhaustive search found no suitable replacement. Yes, it did cost a fortune, but they did put new motor leads on, and replaced the ball bearings. That fan is now working like new. Normally I would have just tossed the whole fan, but this one was practically impossible to remove, and after a good cleaning and repaint, it looks great. The entire frame is made from a single piece of cast aluminum.
Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: