what next with radiant heat

Old 09-29-03, 11:10 PM
miglarsh
Visiting Guest
what next with radiant heat

I recently had radiant hot water floor heating tubes installed in my garage and was told that I could use a hot water heater instead of a boiler. Is this true and if so what would be my next step after running the tubing and buying the hot water heater?

Old 09-30-03, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Question More info please???

miglarsh:

A hot water tank would likely work as long as it has the btu capacity to heat the space.
I have seen people do this but one thing that I don't care for is the amount of water you are heating and keeping in storage.
A proper boiler is very small and only holds a couple of gallons.

Instructions on how to hook this up would depend on how the tubing was installed in the floor and what climate you live in.
If you live in a very cold area you may want to use a closed loop system with heating anti-freeze in the lines.

Give us more details like where you live, size and insulation in the garage, type of fuel you plan to use, amount of tubing installed in the floor and whether or not it is one big loop or there are several ccts of tubing.

Old 09-30-03, 06:09 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Depending

On lacation, size of home heat load etc you may be able to do as I did and use the same water heater for heat and Hot water.
For our 2 bedroom house in Oklahoma it works great

Old 09-30-03, 09:34 AM
miglarsh
Visiting Guest
more info

right now the building is not isulated but I plan to insulate and run a washer and dryer. I have gas out there. To answer the other question I live in Philadelphia, Pa.

Old 09-30-03, 09:35 AM
miglarsh
Visiting Guest
as far as the tubing is concerned I knw there are at least three seperate lengths for the 18' by 20' space

Old 09-30-03, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
miglarsh:
If insulated a space that small will take very little heat but if in your climate there is the possibility the floor could freeze, you will have to use glycol in a closed loop system.
If the floor does freeze using water, you would do serious damage to the floor.

A space this small I wonder whether in-floor heat is economicaly worthwhile.

Old 09-30-03, 11:57 AM
miglarsh
Visiting Guest
it is kind of a done deal. the only concern is what to do next with the hot water heater, thermostat etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: