Weird Pilot Light Problem!

Old 09-30-03, 09:03 PM
coldincanada
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Weird Pilot Light Problem!

I would appreciate any advice very much. We're getting very chilly here. I just started up our old Coleman gas furnace for the first time this year. The pilot light lit fine, and the burners roared up (with a fair amount of force). Everything seemed to be okay but after the cycle completes, all flame is extinguished including the pilot.

I can't tell for sure, but it seems that when the burners light, there's quite a large roar of flame and I think this is when the pilot gets blown out. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 09-30-03, 09:24 PM
coldincanada
Visiting Guest
It's get's even stranger

I just went downstairs to try again. I watched the entire cycle very closely. I lit the pilot, the burners came on, shortly thereafter the blower came on. A few minutes later, the burners went out but the pilot was okay. For the next few mintues the burners kept relighting. Each time there was a delay from the gas coming on and the flame lighting. It made a loud popping sound which sounded like artillery and shot flame out of an intake vent directly above where I light the pilot. It scared the pants off me. Anyway, the fourth time it did this in about three mintues, every flame was extinguised including the pilot. I've shut everything off and grabbed extra blankets.

Old 09-30-03, 10:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Really hard to say with out seeing it.. I know you are trying your best to tell us what's happing.. But I think it would be best if you called in a company in and have it service..

With something like this, it is nothing to mess with! You already had your pants scared off..

So good ideal of shutting everything off, and grab a few extra blanket, and cuddle up with your other half. :-)

Old 10-01-03, 09:55 AM
You definitely need a pro on this. Could be several things. It's sounding like clogged heat exchanger and possibly cracked heat exchanger. You may get lucky and just have a bad gas valve.

Let us know what they find.

Old 10-01-03, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gas heat

You dont say if this is Lp or nat gas. But for both sounds like you have something down in the venturi tube of the burners and can have some rust there on the burner tops to mess up the flame. if its LP the furnace has not been moved any from last year has it? With the Lp you have to have a slight tilt to the back on the burners. Any spiders in the burners?So could be you need a tech to look at it ED

Old 10-01-03, 10:19 AM
Now that Ed mentions it I've came across them where a spider has nested and caused delayed ignition.

Old 10-01-03, 03:15 PM
coldincanada
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all of your help. I almost positive I've fixed the problem. You guys mentioned spiders and that's one thing we've got a ton of down in the dungeon. I simply got in there and gave everything a good (gentle) vacuuming , the burners, the vents, the pilot light thingy, everything, and it works perfectly now.

Thanks again. (Although I might miss the cold nights 8^)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: