Furnace Cuts Out

Old 09-30-03, 03:38 PM
lancelot
Visiting Guest
Furnace Cuts Out

I have a York Stellar forced air furnace. It uses natural gas and has a blower on the exhaust vent, so I think it is a 90% efficient. the model #P3UCD12N06101A. I live in NY and it is time for this thing to be working.
It all seem to be fine, the blower for the exhaust comes on.
The electronic ignition heats up and begins to glow.
Then the gas flows and it fires. This is when the problem comes. It only stays lit about 5 - 10 seconds. I am sure you can realize I am not a qualified technician for these furnaces but am quite handy with household items. I dont see any problems standing right out. I replaced the blower motor last year and it ran without problem till the end of the season, probably about 3 months. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Tom

Old 09-30-03, 11:49 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not an expert, I'm sure they will answer soon.
If was my furnace I would check the flame sensor, it sounds like your flame sensor is bad/ dirty, try cleaning it with scotch brite or fine steel wool.
Does the flame travel across all of the burners? Usually the flame sensor is at the other end of the burners from the igniter.

Old 10-01-03, 07:54 AM
DO NOT SAND THE IGNITOR!!!!!!!

Tom,

Do NOT use anything on that ignitor of yours.. They break...

Dale is thinking of another system...

Anyway, I would go outside, and check the PVC vent on the side to make sure nothing is shoved into the opening of the vents.. wouldn't hurt to have someone turn on the unit and see if you feel any air flow going outside.. If all clear, then your venting is ok.

Chance are your HSI ignitor is tired out... How old of a unit is it? The ignitor is very fragle, and should not be touched by your hands when you replace them. The oil from our body shorten the life on them..

The HSI (hot surfance ignitor) act like a sensor on the flame..

Old 10-01-03, 01:55 PM
lancelot
Visiting Guest
I get flame on

The ignitor seems to be working fine. It glows and the flame comes on. But soon after ignition is goes out.
I may be wrong in what i am looking at, as far as the flame sensor. But what i was looking at for the sensor was a steel like rod with a ceramic shaft and a single wire connected to the end. Not sure what the ignitor is made of but i fell that is a seperate part of this furnace from the sensor. I did pull the steel like shaft thing out and used some steel wool on it. It didnt seem very dirty but did clean it up. I thought for a brief second I had something. The flame may have stayed on longer then before but maybe i was disillusioned. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Thx tom

Old 10-01-03, 06:42 PM
flame sensing

look for the rod you describe at or around the farthest burner from the ignitor. clean but do not sand. i use fine steel wool very lightly. flame rectification is very "ground sensitive" be sure the furnace is well grounded, as poor grounding could fool the board into lockout. also these units are polarity sensitive, but if it worked last year, rule that out.

Old 10-03-03, 05:28 PM
lancelot
Visiting Guest
Polarity Sensitive

Hey !!!!! Polarity Sensitive !!!! I didnt metntion something in my previous post. Well Guess what it was extremely important. The electrical system got an upgrade to circuit breakers from fuses. So what do you think I found when i went and checked the polarity on the wires at the furnace. Yep you bet the white has the power and the black was the neutral.

hvac4u glad you typed that little thing and said rule that out cause if it had not been there I would still be waiting for the repairman who wanted to replace the module.

Excellent help here. Just need some common sense yourself and the answers are here.

Thank You

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: