undersized A/C unit

Old 07-01-00, 09:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a 2.5 ton unit trying to cool 1800 sq. ft. house, blinds on every window, ceiling fans in almost every room. Unit still runs continuosly after outside temp. reaches 90. Charge is good, I have changed pulley and belt to increase blower rpm for summer,(helped some). used fin comb to clean A-coil. Insulation in attic, approx. 8 inches, walls blown in celluose. Anderson/Crestline windows double pane etc. Older home, many long runs. Upgrade to larger unit would require furnace replacement also, unable to do so at this time. any suggestions on how to supplement the current system on a tight budget would be helpful.

Old 07-02-00, 10:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Have you tried cleaning the coils on the condensing unit (outside)? A surprising amount of grassclippings, leaf bits and general grime builds up. Often, a good hosing with plain water from a spray nozzle will get surprising results (power disconnected til dry of course).

Old 07-02-00, 10:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

quote:<HR>Originally posted by MrRonFL:
Have you tried cleaning the coils on the condensing unit (outside)? A surprising amount of grassclippings, leaf bits and general grime builds up. Often, a good hosing with plain water from a spray nozzle will get surprising results (power disconnected til dry of course).<HR>

Old 07-02-00, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response, but the outside unit is clean also, I believe the unit is working correctly and at its max. capacity. I have also installed attic fans in both gable ends of attic. Previous owner reroofed using solid black shingles, (idiot), and did not add any roof vents other than 18 octagons at gable ends. I am considering adding ridge vents and tan shingles next year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: