90 PSI LOW SIDE? 14 SEER?

Old 07-01-00, 02:50 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I JUST BOUGHT A NEW AC SYSTEM MADE BY GOODMAN. IT SOULD HAVE BEEN A 14 SEER BUT THE CONDENSER UNIT HAS A BIG YELLOW STICKER MARKED 13 SEER. THE INSTALLER TOLD ME THAT THE AIR HANDLER MADE UP THE DIFFERANCE.

IS THIS TRUE?

THE CONDENSER IS CKT42 AND THE AIR HANDLER IS A AE48-15.
AM I GETTING RIPPED OFF?

IF IT IS A 14 SEER SYSTEM I DONT THINK IT IS RUNNING RIGHT. THE HIGH SIDE IS BETWEEN 225 AND 275 PSI DEPENDING ON THE OUTSIDE TEMP. BUT THE LOW SIDE NEVER DROPS BELOW 87 PSI. NOT EVEN AT NIGHT WITH THE HOUSE COOL(75).DURING THE DAY IT STAYS AROUND 90 TO 95 PSI.
THE INSALLER SAYS THAT 90 PSI IS NORMAL FOR THE SYSTEM. I DONT THINK SO.
NOTE: THE EVAPORATOR USES AN ORFICE PISTON.
I ONLY GET A 12 DEGREE DROP IN THE INSIDE AIR TEMP.
I WANT WHAT I PAID FOR AND I WANT IT TO RUN AT ITS BEST.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-00, 10:18 PM
Visiting Guest
it is very possible for the air handler to bring up the SEER rating. I can take a 10 SEER Bryant, coupled to a FK4 varible speed A/H and get 11Seer. as for the pressures... on a 90 degree day it should be at 70 low side. how long is your line set? almost sounds like an over charge to me

Old 07-02-00, 10:05 AM
Visiting Guest
MY LINE IS ABOUT 27 FEET. A REDUCTION IN CHARGE TO SET THE RIGHT LOW SIDE PSI RESULTS IN LITTLE OR NO COOLING. THE CHARGE THAT CAME WITH THE THE SYSTEM OUT OF THE BOX HAD THE PRESSURES AT 90 PSI AND AROUND 250 PSI. THE AIR HANDLER COMES WITH A #82 ORFICE PISTON THE CONDENSER UNIT CAME WITH A #80 AND SAID IT SOULD BE INSTALLED IN THE EVAPORATOR. THE PAPER WORK FOR THE AIR HANDLER SAYS THE #82 IT COME WITH IS THE CORECT ONE. THE INSTALLER IS NOT SURE WHICH IS THE RIGHT ONE. OTHER EVAPORATORS FROM THIS COMPANY OF THE SAME TONAGE CALLS FOR A #78.
OR AM I BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE.
NOTE: FORM THE BEGINING (EXCEPT WHEN THE CHARGE WAS REDUCED) NOT ONLY DOSE THE LOW SIDE LINE SWEAT, SO DOSE THE ENTIRE COMPRESSOR CASE DOSE TOO.

Old 07-02-00, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TERRY IN TEXAS:
&lt;deletia&gt;
NOTE: FORM THE BEGINING (EXCEPT WHEN THE CHARGE WAS REDUCED) NOT ONLY DOSE THE LOW SIDE LINE SWEAT, SO DOSE THE ENTIRE COMPRESSOR CASE DOSE TOO.[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To me that verifies R-12guy's guess. I'd go for the overcharge route. Try having a uninvolved tech take the numbers(second opinion).

Old 07-02-00, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES I WILL TRY IT OUT. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW THINGS TURN OUT.

Old 07-02-00, 10:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Bryant uses a 76- 82 for a 3.5 ton..I always use what comes with the outside unit.

Old 07-03-00, 04:51 PM
Visiting Guest
WE ADJUSTED THE CHARGE DOWN IN STEPS OF 5 PSI DWON TO 70 PSI. AS PRESSURE WENT DOWN THE AIR VENT TEMP WENT UP. SO WE ADDED CHARGE SLOWLY UNTIL WE GOT THE MAX TEMP DROP BETWEEN THE RETURN AIR AND VENT AIR. WHICH WAS ABOUT 17 DEGREES. AT THIS PIONT THE LOW SIDE WAS AT 87 PSI AND HIGH SIDE WAS AT 245. THE SUCTION LINE WAS COLD AND SWEATY ( AT 75 PSI IT WAS NOT EVEN COOL TO THE THOUCH )THE COMPRESSER DID NOT HAVE ANY SWEAT ON IT AT ALL.
AT THIS PIONT THE SYSTEM IS COOLING FINE. MAYBE THE HIGHER THAN NORMAL LOW SIDE PRESSURE IS DUE TO SPEED OF THE INDOOR BLOWER WHICH IS QUITE A BIT HIGHER THAN MY OLD 3 TON SYSTEM?????

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME