Burnham boiler PSI question

Old 10-03-03, 04:41 PM
dfor
Visiting Guest
Burnham boiler PSI question

I have force hot water baseboard with a Burnham boiler. There is a PSI guage inside the front panel. Right now it is at about 18-20 psi. What is normal for this system? Thanks.

Old 10-03-03, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler

How many floors do you have in the home? Like If you have just one story in the home . Thats from a basement to the first floor about 15 to 18 psi. Say if the gauge is off some . The psi should be what ever it takes to just make water come out of the top bleeder valve and no more. ED

Old 10-03-03, 05:18 PM
dfor
Visiting Guest
Boiler is in basement. Right now we are only heating the first floor. We do have one room and bath upstairs and we keep the temp at about 60. (not using the space). Thanks for your reply.

Old 10-03-03, 05:39 PM
boiler

Then like I said with the 2 story you will have to be about 18 to 20 as a rule. Just so you get water out of that top bleeder is all. even if you dont heat it keep that much head or psi on the boiler. ED

Old 10-03-03, 06:20 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
15 PSI will support a 32 foot column of water. Scale from there.

Old 10-10-03, 01:01 PM
pranap
Visiting Guest
Suppose you have only 15psi, how do you increase it to 20psi , for example

thanks
prana

Old 10-10-03, 01:57 PM
boiler

Well first I would ask why do you want to kick it up? Dont you get water out of the top bleeder now? Ok you should have a auto water fill there on this boiler some times called Feed water valves and the valve for it should be open. Also on this you can have a pressure relief valve that will be set for 30lb to pop offThis is a pressure regulator and this is what you would have to set so you get the water up to the 20 psi you want. ED

Old 10-10-03, 04:30 PM
If you open a bleeder on the top floor and get water (or air) out, you have no reason to want to increase pressure. More pressure usually causes more problems. One item you have left out of is temperature. If the heat is not running and the boiler is at 160 psi what is the pressure? Lets say it is 15 psi. Check again when all zones are hot and the boiler is at 180 or 200 psi. You may have the 20 psi you were after. The room for expansion is critical. If your expansion tank is undersized or waterlogged, you might sneak by with low pressure. Raise the pressure and everything must work in harmony or the relief valve will trip. The pressure gauges used on boilers are not the most accurate devices either. Sometimes the temperature is inaccurate and sometimes the pressure is inaccurate. I usually trust a brand new water feeder to give 12 psi. Then I check the gauge against that. Let a sleeping dog lie.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: