thermostat not working??

Old 07-11-00, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

our bryant heat pump and honeywell thermostat is about 2yrs. old and is serviced by a/c company that installed it and services it twice yearly. they recently checked and said to be ok but....when I set the temp control for 78 degrees, even when the thermostat registers a temp of 72 degrees I find the A/C still kicking on and off and we are freezing in here sometimes. the a/c company said thermostats have a one year warranty and wants $200 to put a new one in. this doesn't sound right to me. any thoughts? If I do need to replace it, I'll do it myself....
thanks,
mb

Old 07-12-00, 05:13 AM
Visiting Guest
By all rights, a two year old thermostat should need nothing more than a good dust clearing (compressed air can, or even a soda straw powered by strong lungs). I assume they made sure it was level, because a standard mercury switch thermostat needs to be...? If you can lay hands on a small bubble level it's easy to check yourself.

Bear in mind, the standard bimetal thermostat and the thermometer built into them are only accurate to +/- 5 Degrees F.

If extremely accurate temp control is important, your better bet is to get one of the electronic ones. A programmable for a heatpump starts at about 40 to 60 dollars at most home centers, and the installation is pretty simple, just note what wires were where on the original t-stat and read the instructions on the replacement.

The electronic ones don't have to be level (most of them anyway), and you get the added benefit of setback programming (saves $, really).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: