Oil fired boiler leaking water...

Old 10-07-03, 04:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Oil fired boiler leaking water...

Something tells me this is NOT a good thing!

We've had water leaking from the unit before, but only after it shutdown....once for a broken coupler, a few other times because it was not igniting. Both of those problems have been taken care of. (Last season and the season before). This water leak is occuring with the unit operating at operating temperature.

The unit is running around 10-12lbs of pressure. The temp runs around 190-220F. We just had it serviced and I think the tech cranked up the aquastat a bit. What should that be set at? (Hi and Low)

Stats on the unit: Weil-McLain oil fired boiler, heats two zones, has a domestic hot water coil and I estimate the unit to be about 20-25 years old.

Here's a picture of the puddle I found today. I found a puddle Sunday, but I wasn't nearly this big.

If image isn't showing up in the thread, try this url:
http://pages.cthome.net/glenn_j/Dsc00900%20copy.jpg

Any ideas as to what this could be?

Old 10-07-03, 05:55 PM
It could be the domestic coil gasket. It could be a seal between two sections. It looks like you have a cap on the boiler drain but that is a suspect too. You need to get up close and personal with a good flashlight to see which one it really is. None of those problems mean the boiler is shot. All can be repaired. BUT the labor might get the best of you. If the bolts on the domestic coil are rusted and all break which they usually do, they will need to be drilled and removed. If is is a section seal, they all should be replaced. The boiler would need to be disassembled and the surfaces cleaned and new seals put in. Is that a good idea? Probably not.

Low setting should be 180 max and HIgh setting should be 200 max. They need to be set 20 degrees apart. 220 is too high in my opinion.

You should probably consider replacement if you are going to be realistic. Consider something with a better efficiency than what you have. Low mass, domestic hot water storage, cold start, outside air for combustion.

Look at www.energykinetics.com

Good Luck

Old 10-07-03, 06:45 PM
G
Thanks for the reply. The water spot I found on Sunday was towards the back side of the unit. I actually saw the "drip". It was running down the inside of the metal cover and then landing on the floor.

If a replacement is in order, I'm thinking of a Weil-McLain Gold (or whatever their top of the line oil fired unit is) and a indirect hot water tank.

It sounds like a lot of work to replace that coil.

Old 10-07-03, 06:59 PM
Top of the line is a subjective statement.

I don't think 800 lbs. of cast iron with 12 gallons of water held at 180 degrees 24/7 is top of the line.

I see a boiler that heats 3 gallons of water only when necessary and a 40 gallon domestic storage tank as top of the line. Especially when you cut out at least 100 gallons of fuel usage during the summer months.

Do your homework and you will be satisfied with the system you choose.

Old 10-08-03, 03:39 AM
G
That's a good point.

From the Weil-McLain line, what's a good unit to heat a 2 zone base board house, about 2,000 square feet?

40 gallon tank sounds good to me. I'll look into that.

Still leaking when I checked at 5:10AM. I have a fan blowing on it now. I think it may be time to call service and get the "official" word.

Old 10-08-03, 06:06 AM
You did ask for an opinion on this one so that is what I will offer. We are careful about brand bashing here so I will try to be tactful. Weil Mclain seems to spend more money on advertising than they do on research and development. The only major thing different with the 'gold series' is the color of the jacket. There hasn't been a significant change in their boiler design since the 1040s. They give away jackets and boots and trips to contractors who use them and then those same contractors have to come back from theiir trip and hear customers complain about the boiler being loud or starting with a thump or not having enough hot water. I use Weil Mclain for steam jobs and they have a design that works well. For hot water they are behind the times. There is a boiler called the Bethlehem Dynatherm. They were made in my town and they were very popular in the 60s and 70s. They are still being manufactured also but they do not address the water volume issue either. The small one holds 20 gallons of water. I just can't see the need. I have used the Energy Kinetics boilers for 15 years and they have safety features that no other manufacturer has added to this day. Competition is what makes the world go round. And opinions and advice is what you will get here. There is more than one way to skin a cat but the person writing the check for a boiler installation should be the one to benefit most.

Old 10-08-03, 06:09 PM
G
I'm giong to check out that link you posted. You folks here know a heck of a lot more than I do, so your advice means a lot.

I appreciate it!

Old 10-09-03, 07:19 PM
G
System2000 looks really interesting. I contacted them via their website for more information. The quiet is key since our utility room is right next to the downstairs living area in our house. I'll let you know what I find out. I watched the video that had posted on their website. There was a customer who was from my area so I'm confident there's a dealer locally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: