Do I really need a new compressor

Old 07-19-00, 06:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Situation: compressor turns on, pulls about 80 amps and then shuts of in the space of a few seconds?

Do I really need a new compressor (quotes are around $1000) or is it possible that there's something in there that I can fix or can be fixed for less?

Thanks

Old 07-20-00, 09:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Whatever you do, I would not recommend this as a DIY. I would have a different certified technician look the unit over and ask him/her to make suggestions. Ask him/her if a hard start kit would help. These are quite a bit cheaper than a compressor. Still, not a do-it-yourself project.
Good luck!

Old 07-21-00, 08:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

My gut reaction is that an 80 amp draw on a residential system is a serious deathknell (discounting something strange like an obstruction in the freon plumbing).

A hardstart _might_ get you up and running, but this is usually borrowed time.

Old 07-23-00, 04:40 PM
Visiting Guest
I've worked on A/C and refrieration units for many years and depending on the age of the unit and the effectivness of that unit would I spend a $1000.00 on it. First of all make sure you get a certified refrigeration A/C person to look at it. Second based on the age of the unit then decide on a new compressor. On the average replacement compressors don't last as long as the original ones. If you have a burnt out unit etra care must be taken to insure the new compressor isn't contaminated by what is left in the system from the old unit. I hope this helps but be care and use shop that has been in business for a respectable amount of time. Good Luck, Bixyes

Old 07-23-00, 04:43 PM
Visiting Guest
I've worked on A/C and refrigeration units for many years and depending on the age of the unit and the effectivness of that unit would I spend a $1000.00 on it. First of all make sure you get a certified refrigeration A/C person to look at it. Second based on the age of the unit then decide on a new compressor. On the average replacement compressors don't last as long as the original ones. If you have a burnt out unit extra care must be taken to insure the new compressor isn't contaminated by what is left in the system from the old unit. I hope this helps but be careful and use shop that has been in business for a respectable amount of time. Good Luck, Bixyes

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: