running natural gas to garage

Old 10-10-03, 09:25 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
running natural gas to garage

i have a lead on a used heater that was used at costco over the doors. it is in good shape and would be perfect in my garage. i am wondering what it would take to run a gas line out to the garage?? does anyone know what code is for michigan?? i'm assuming i have to bury line a foot or two. the thing i'm concerned about is tapping into the house. i'm thinking it may to big of a job for me. and could be very dangerous if done wrong. i have done some plumbing with water, but haven't touched gas. my extent is hooking up my gas dryer... any advice is appreciated...

Old 10-10-03, 11:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas line

Codes are so different all over . Ask there where you live. Also you dont say how far this line would have to run. So its on your side of the regulator could be you would need a big big pipe to get out to this heater for the BTU it burns. ED

Old 10-10-03, 11:30 AM
zig
Visiting Guest
I'm going to call the city later today. I'll have to measure the distance. Probably 50 ft max total. I'm going to wait till i get the furnace and see what the btus are before choosing the rest. But is this a DIY job or should i call a profesional?? gas is run through galvanized pipe, correct?? how difficult to tap into existing gas lines?? I talked to someone at work and he had a swimming pool gas line run and that was $700 and he dug the trench... so i'm looking at that worst case... thanks...

Old 10-10-03, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gas pipe

You got it . Get the BTU of the unit and add 5' for each L you would have in this line to the 50' and that should tell you how big the pipe has to be. Its like do you have all the pipe tools there to cut and thread this pipe. you have to think about all of this .
Good luck ED

Old 10-10-03, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You have to size the whole line for gas with demand. Putting a 1" branch on existing 3/4" won't work.
In this case, I'd contact a plumber and get at least 3 bids.
There are several issues you have to consider including insurance coverage in worst case. Contacting the city, and asking them anything, will give them a heads up on gas work and now there will probably be a permit thing.
Galvanized pipe may or may not be code approved, local issue.
Like Ed said, if you have all the tools, it's fairly simple...otherwise, make a call.

Good luck, more questions, ask away and someone will answer you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: