How to increase PSI

Old 10-10-03, 01:45 PM
pranap
Visiting Guest
How to increase PSI

Hi all:

I am getting about 15psi on a slant/fin galaxy gas boiler. House has basement, main floor and a top floor. Boiler is in the basement.

How do I increase the pressure if need be?
thanks

prana

Old 10-10-03, 03:31 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Add more water using water fill setup you have.

Old 10-10-03, 04:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
boiler

If you have a boiler that has a auto water feed and the water is turned on.You will have to raise the feed water pressure to get more psi in the boiler. But if you get water out of the top bleeder now let it be. ED

Old 10-10-03, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be Happy - Don't Worry

15 psi is perfect.
Read the other post about pressure.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=145965

Old 10-10-03, 06:18 PM
pranap
Visiting Guest
Yes I am getting water out of the top radiator, I have bled all more than once. The problem is that the radiators at the front of the house gets very hot on all floors. the 3 at the back closer to the boiler(in the basement), 1 on each floor vertically under each other,does NOT get very hot even though water comes out.

However if I turn the thermostat higher and the pump runs for a while, these 3 then becomes VERY HOT.. At this point , the house is too hot, 25C.
In other words , I am not getting an even distribution of the hot water. Could the inlet valves at the radiator be restricted somehow. I did find 2 of them very hard to turn and was thinking of replacing them.

Also I notice that there is quite a bit of water coming out of the relief valve. At one point , it didnt stop. I suspect this is bad and need replacement. Could it be repaired?

I dont believe there are zone valves. I looked in the boiler room and didnt see anything. Is this where it would be if there is any?

thanks again
prana

Old 10-10-03, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You started off by asking the wrong question. No offense intended but the pressure has nothing to do with heat distribution. The pressure just fills the system. The circulating pump causes the water flow that heats the rooms. Water will flow through the path of least resistance so you may find that if the piping is not done correctly, you will get some radiators that get hot and some that hardly ever do. The solution is to find out which ones get hot FIRST and close the valves on them about half way. You will then find that some others begin to get hot. Since you can not ever get more flow through a radiator than you do when the valve is full open, never close the valves on the coldest radiators unless you aren't using that room. The radiator nearest to the thermostat is also a key radiator. If you close the valve on that radiator, the whole house will get warmer. Keep in mind that you will pay for any heat that goes to rooms that did not get heat before. You will likely use more fuel than you did when you froze in some rooms but what did you expect? Don't be surprised if you have to almost completely close the valves on the hot radiators to force the flow through the other ones. That is normal. Once you get things the way you like them, put a mark on the handles of the valves that are partially closed so you can return them to that position if someone changes the set position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: