'Waste Oil Burners

Old 10-11-03, 11:35 PM
'Waste Oil Burners

I've a lot to do with ordinary oil burners using diesel but I've never had any thing to do with waste oil burners.
I have a little Nu-Way burner which I want to convert to waste oil . I'm going to use a special waste oil pump and use a oil preheater I want to blow hot air though the special nozzle you get for waste oil before and after firing to 1) purge the nozzle line 2) to preheat the line so that the oil is hot when it first comes out while the spark is going.
To preheat the air I am going to run the air pipe though the oil preheater on the way to the nozzle. And use a couple of oil solenoids to change the oil nozzle line from oil to air and back again when firing time arrives.
I have two problems
1) trying to source an air pump to pump around 2 cfm @about 20 psi
2 Trying to find a control box 230v with a 30 sec prepurge and about a 15sec post purge.
Most of the US stuff is 120v which is no good. as I'm on 230v
I love to hear from anyone who had some experience with waste oil burners

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-03, 05:09 AM
I wish you luck but I think you will have your work cut out for you. I have been working on residential and light commercial oil burners for over 20 years and when I bought my waste oil burner, I was surprised at how different it was from a standard burner. There are almost no parts that are the same between the standard burner and the waste oil burner. You have already mentioned the pump. It is a fixed volume instead of a fixed pressure pump. The electrodes are different because there is no retention head. The burner chassis is a Beckett A but that is where the similarity ends.
My suggestion is that if you can find the parts you need and they are in 110 volt ac, maybe you could get a transformer to drop your 230 down to 110.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Ken

Old 10-12-03, 10:43 AM
Oil Burner

If you are going to be able to stay on waste oil here all the time.
Have you looked into a sling burner. They have the delay in them as the "spark" lights the gas and the burner gets up to speed the relay opens lets the oil in then the gas pilot goes off. With waste oil I dont think you would need a heater if you can pump it. With the #5 you do for sure. Had one #5 didnt need a heater they had a steam line down in the tank. Also The burners like this that I have been on where all 220V. ED

Old 10-12-03, 12:09 PM
I have a Reznor unit and they heat the oil to 150F. I believe the reason is so that whether you have ATF or 50 weight, it will all flow and be pretty close in viscosity at that temp. I have worked on a few older models where the air pressure was adjustable and so was the oil pressure. They were tough to setup without the manual. Mine has a fixed regulator for the air and the oil pump is non-adjustable. The only setting that requires adjustment is the air shutter. That is done with a Bacharach kit just like all other oil burners. When you look at the fire, you almost can't tell it is waste oil burning. A little more yellow flame than heating oil but clean as a whistle. 12% CO2.

Old 10-12-03, 10:20 PM
Waste Oil Burner

Thanks guys for your contributions, I appreciate your comments.
I'm petty sure I can work something out .
Hago have a new siphon nozzle out which from here looks petty good. see
http://www.steamshop.com/BPS.pdf
As far as the pump goes Webster as well as Suntec have several for waste oil and I should be able to regulate the oil pressure though a pressure relief valve to maintain the oil at a constant pressure. I have been in the trade now for almost 40yrs so I think I've pick up a little bit of know how.
It's the sourcing of the control, air pump and other bits I'm trying to get which I a'm have problems with.
Have toyed with using a auto A/C comprssor but it the lubrication as they use steel vanes and I really need carbon vanes so I done have to lubricate, My son is an auto A/C Mechanic (or do you call them Technican) so I been able to look at quite a few.
I have also toyed with the idea of using a LPG gas flame to start the main flame. I am a gas fitter too so thats not a great problem to work out.
Really all I be using of the old burner will be the casing, motor, fan and drive to the new pump. The idea of blowing hot air though the oil passge on prepurge and post purge is to ensure there is no old cold oil in the line when we want to start.
Most burners especially the old ones with out prepurge can give a bad flame for that sec or two it takes the pressure to build up to the full pressure, As on most pumps the pressure shutoff/relief opens at approx 65psi, and during that sec before they get to full pressure they can puff a little bit of soot, Ok it's not much each time but over a lot of starts it can build up.
Of course if the pump suffers from post shutdown dribble it make the problem even worse.
Any way thank guys for your replies. This is still a wee way from fruition but I'll keep you posted.