New Boiler?

Old 10-12-03, 09:41 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Boiler?

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any info you can provide us.

We recently bought a split level built in 1962. Original Weil McLain boiler using natural gas, to two zone heat.

It's a model E-5 and discontinued in 1962. The gas valve isn't working as well as the pilot/thermo-coupler device.

A friend says that we can get a generic valve and pilot unit for around 100 - 150. My question is...is it worth putting any money at all into a 43 year old furnace when we could be putting it into a newer, more efficient model? I'd hate to spend the 150 or 200 only to find it go bad in the middle of this winter when we really need it. The other side of this of course is the new one would be quite expensive.

Could you give me the names of a few really good gas boilers and tell us what to look for as far as efficiency goes? Also a ballpark price on the boiler and plumber install costs would be helpful. We are in NJ.

Here are the specs of the current old boiler if needed:

Model E-5 Series 1
128000 Input AGA rating BTU/HR / 102400 Output
Min valve cap: safety: 102.4 lbs/hr. releif:102.4 MBH

Thanks again.

AW
New Jersey

Old 10-12-03, 10:20 AM
gas valve

Is it just the thermocouple or just the valve you dont say. Does the pilot stay lit? Id find out what one is bad. Id also just put in a new gas valve if I had to for now ED

Old 10-13-03, 08:43 AM
A
Ed,

It seems to be both the pilot switch/thrmo-coupler which is welded to the pilot switch and the gas valve. The more I look at it the more I am compelled to not drop a dime in to this dinosaur. Esp. to rig a generic valve to it.

I got a quote for 4100 for a new Lennox 120,000 BTU Boiler, 2 new pumps for the 2 zones and new thermostats. For everything.

Is Lennox a good brand? I know nothing of boilers or their efficiency. The plumber who had great references assured me this one is very efficient and said it uses 1/2 gas and 1/2 air? I don;t understand that exactly.

Thanks for your responses.

AW

Old 10-13-03, 09:28 AM
Boiler

Dont know cost there. But you know there are two of them.
the signature is AFUE 90o with 15 year on heat exchanger

and the Elite is AFUE 86.4 with 20 year on heat exchanger

He did run a new heat loss on the home???? Not there dont know for sure but you said 128k BTU. So a new 80 or 90 AFUEat 120k btu sounds big.

I think every one here will say get 3 bids for the same job ED

Old 10-13-03, 10:20 AM
I am with Ed, 120k sounds kinda high for a new boiler.. I would do a head load/lost to see if you need less..

About 90% of older heating system were over sized for what is needed today's need for home heating. go to this sight,

http://www.hvaccomputer.com/main.asp

and then down load the free program.. it may look hard, but once you get going, it's not that hard of a program to use.

also, get more than one bid to just make sure something is not over looked or over/under bid, and ask if they done a heat load/lost..

The Lennox boilers may be made by someone else.. I am not sure.. have not delt with Lennox on this end.

Old 10-13-03, 10:58 AM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Weil-McClain is a good boiler with a long track record. They now make some good high efficiency boilers. Have you gotten any quotes for a new Weil-McLain?

Old 10-13-03, 11:18 AM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Lennox

There was an article on TV a while ago on Lennox's pulse burner being a problem with cracked heat exchangers and was a bad design, I'm not sure if they were hesitent in recalling them but I think they refused.
Weil Mclain, Smith, Pensoti, and Utica are the well known reputable boilers we see here. Another Called the system 2000 out of Connecticut, has to be one of the quietest boilers I've ever heard if that is an issue with you. They are also very high efficiency. Expect to pay more for the better boilers. When you get quotes get the boiler make and model with the quote. Have each ccompany give you at least three options to choose from. Gas is cheaper to operate because the upkeep is less than oil. Oil is dirtier to the heat exchanger and has fewer parts to replace, oil nozzles require replacement each year and need a cleanup every year. Gas units run very clean in most cases. A check every two or three years would be OK for gas, with oil, the boiler will most likely quit due to a clogged filter if overlooked. Stay away from propane altogether!

P.S. I have oil.

Old 10-14-03, 09:22 AM
A
Thanks for all of the responses.

The guy is coming tonight to look at the old one and to give info about the new one he had in mind. Sounds like the 120K he is suggesting is too much boiler for our 2 zone house from your posts?

He spoke of Lennox only. Did not mention any other boiler brands. I wll definitaly ask him about heat/load/loss for our house and see what he says as well as the faulty heat exchanger in the LEnnox Pulse burners.

We're going to get a few more estimates before we decide on which to go with.

Thanks for your advice and help with this. I will post tonight/tomorrow after he leaves with some info.

AW

Old 10-14-03, 09:55 AM
I've seen many Weil-McClain boilers around in this area.

Aunt and uncle had one installed thier new home for radiant floor heat in the new house.. NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-16-03, 02:42 PM
A
Hello again. We had 3 different guys come out to give estimates on the new boiler/relays/and 2 new pumps in case #1.

Here is the breakdown:

#1 - Lennox GWB8-112-1E - 85 % - $4100 w/2 new pumps

#2 - Lennox GWB8-105 81.5% - $4213 no pumps

#3 - Weil McLain - CGA-4 105 input - 84% - $4098(no pumps)

I've read/heard some good things about the Lennox Signature 1E series.

Also heard good things about WeilMcLain in general from some of you here in this post.

We're leaning toward # 1 due to the fact he's putting in 2 new pumps along with the boiler and relays. And that Lennox has a lifetime warranty on the heat exchange.

Not sure of warranty on the wMCLain...?

Any opinions on these estimates?

Thanks again for all your time.

AW

Old 10-16-03, 02:53 PM
Nice to see your getting new pumps.. did any of the dealer do a heat load/lost figure for your home so your not oversized??

Old 10-16-03, 03:03 PM
new boiler

Dont know for sure here. Did any of them run or show you a heat loss on the home for sure?
You said you had a128kbtu input now on a 1962 boiler at what we did use at the time 50 % thats only 64k btu out like.

Im with Jay It just seems big to me

So I think I would like to see a heat loss there for a 112 btu in at 85% AFUE. Id go with new pumps and all at one time. ED

Old 10-17-03, 08:10 AM
A
Yes we got a heat loss check. #2 and #3 at 105 is what they came up with after doing those heat loss calculations.

So I guess 105- 110 isn't too big for the house after all.

We're definitely happy about the new pumps. Allthough at first I was skeptical as both were functioning well. I will try to keep both of them as back-ups in case they are ever needed down the road.

Thanks again for all of your help during this process. You definitely gave us some good things to ponder when making the decision.

Have a great winter!

AW

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: