How Do I Check the "Time Delay"

Old 07-31-00, 10:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I live in Atlanta, GA. We normally keep our thermostat at @ 79 degrees, but a few days ago the house started warming up. We could still hear what I thought was the AC, but could feel only a little bit of cool air coming out of the vent. Turned off the AC and turned it back on - realized the fan was coming on, but not the AC. I can hear it trying to come on, but no luck yet. High cost service call is not in my budget, but the cold showers and refrigerated spray bottle are getting old. I saw where it was recommended that it might be a compressor problem, disconnect switch or time delay. Are these things I can check on my own? If so, how? PLEASE HELP!!! I need some sleep!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-00, 10:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Here's the quick and dirty compressor test.

Start with the system off for a long enough time that you know that it's good and cool.

Go to the unit outside and turn off the disconnect.

Turn the system on at the thermostat set to cool.

Turn the disconnect outside on.

If you hear the compressor start, but the fan doesn't start, then the problem is the fan. If you nudge the fan blade with a screwdriver enough to get it to spin, and it starts and runs, then it's probably just a motor capacitor; pretty cheap and easy as repairs go. If the fan doesn't work with a push start, then it's probably toast: more expensive and involved, but still not too bad.

If _nothing_ starts, it may be the motor contactor: again, fairly cheap and easy.

A lot depends on your observation skills, and mechanical aptitude.