ratcheting radiators

Old 10-12-03, 09:13 PM
phillyhomeowner
Visiting Guest
Question ratcheting radiators

I have baseboard heat in my house. Although I currently have the heat turned off, I occasionally hear a "ratcheting" noise coming from my radiators. I recently had the system looked at by the HVAC people who put in my new AC a few weeks ago, and they said it was fine, but what's causing the noise? Particularly if the heat is turned off?

Thanks for any info anyone has!

Old 10-13-03, 04:13 PM
H
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
easy

What your hearing is the baseboard fins playing you a song as they dance across the support brackets like stroking the tines on a comb. There should be 4 plastic guides on the edges of the convector finns on which they should slide quietly, I suspect yours are missing.

Old 10-13-03, 10:15 PM
phillyhomeowner
Visiting Guest
hot water music

Thanks for the answer... now, can I get the gliders at my local hardware store? And since they seem to randomly make the "music", what is causing them to move, anyway? It's not a big deal (obviously), but I'm paranoid about my heater running when it's turned off (it was happening earlier when the HVAC guys put the wrong t-stat in, and I had both AC and heat going at the same time...).

Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-14-03, 06:52 PM
H
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
high school

Did you ever do that experiment in physics class, where you have a metal rod across a table. One end is against a heavy weight and the rod rests on a pin perpandicular to it with a circular disk fixed to the end. You heat up the steel rod, and as the rod gets longer, due to the heat, the pin rotates the disk to show the movement in inches as the rod gets longer. This is what is happening to the element. It's getting longer and had to grow longer, as it got hotter. In so doing, the finns pluck against the support brackets. Remove the cover and watch it happen. If you think thats bad, you should hear what its like on a steam radiator thats out of pitch!!!!You would swear someone is in the cellar with a hammer on the steam pipe hitting it for all its worth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: