Heat Pump/Compressor Cycling

Old 10-13-03, 07:37 AM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
Question Heat Pump/Compressor Cycling

Hi, Just a quick question I hope. Lived in home three years, and spent lots of time near bedroom with a/c unit outside window. I have just noticed that lately I hear the unit come on, and start for about one minute tops and then turn back off. Fan is still blowing inside house, but compressor or the heat pump outside only came on for very short time. Is this just because the seasons are changing and it is not having to kick in because the house temperature is staying about right? I lowered thermostat by over the three degrees to get compressor to kick on and it did and stayed on. So, this is my guess, but want to be sure.

Thanks, Susan

Old 10-13-03, 08:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Heat Pump/Compressor Cycling

Susan [/B][/QUOTE Is this just because the seasons are changing and it is not having to kick in because the house temperature is staying about right? I lowered thermostat by over the three degrees to get compressor to kick on and it did and stayed on. So, this is my guess, but want to be sure.

When you pushed the tstat down where you on heat??are A/C??? If you go to cool and push it down does it stay running? Also put it on heat and push tsat up will it stay on? ED

Old 10-13-03, 08:44 AM
Sweet1
Visiting Guest
a/c unit

Well I only tried it with the air conditioner and NOT the heat. So, turning on the air conditioner and lower thermostat three to four degrees does turn on the compressor and it does stay on like it should. The house is cooling also, so that is good. In Texas, not cold enough for heat yet and it is gas.

When temperature in house is close to thermostat number, like 73, 74 degrees is when I hear something in condensing unit come on and cut off shortly. Maybe that is the heat pump? That is its purpose, but don't know much at all about heat pumps and don't know if this is even located outside or inside the air exchange unit.

Thanks for the quick response. I love this web site.

Old 10-13-03, 09:01 AM
What is it

Do you have a heatpump for sure with gas back up? Are the air filters clean?. You said the fan inside ran and the out side turned off?? You could have it looked at and serviced by a tech. Oil motors and check freon see if coil is clean. Just a if if is all. ED

Old 10-13-03, 03:57 PM
H
short cycling

This is usualy caused by improper setting of the heat anticipator. This is adjustable in the heat mode but fixed in the cooling mode. If you have the mercury style thermostat you could simply remove the cover and watch the mercury and see how long it takes till the mercury falls to the other side. If it starts and stops with the movement of the mercury, it's responding to the thermostat as directed. If it starts and stops and the mercury doesn't move, the problem is most likely in the condensing unit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: