cold 2nd fl room - less hot air

Old 10-13-03, 01:14 PM
Sang
Visiting Guest
cold 2nd fl room - less hot air

Hi,

I moved into this house in the last summer, so this is first cold season to me. I found one of the sm bedroom on the 2nd floor dosen't get "enough" hot air while the heat on. The rest of the house is fine. I have forced air gas heating system, and house is only 6 yrs old. I change the furnace filter regulary. Is there any DIY check, or need to talk to pros?

My house is 2 story colonial, no basement. All ducts passing thru the first floor ceiling(2nd floor floor), so all duct on the 1st floor located on the ceiling, and on the floor on the 2nd floor. I have cold air return in each bedroom upstair, and one on the 1st floor. Do I need to block any of the cold air return (no damper)?

Thanks in advance,

Sang

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-03, 01:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
More heat

I would first try and close the down stairs registers just a little and see if that gets more air up stairs for you . I dont think I would block off any of the cold air returns. Lots of times you have to play with registers to get the system to work right for up and down ED

Old 10-13-03, 01:44 PM
Sang
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the fast reply.

I did already. Is "equlizer register fan" will help? or any other options?

Old 10-13-03, 01:55 PM
up stairs

Did you get the same amount of air on AC?? Can you look in the run and see if there is anything in the pipe? I have not found a duct or pipe fan that worked at all in the runs. ED

Old 10-13-03, 01:57 PM
Sang
Visiting Guest
Great idea. Thanks.

I will check the duct tonight.

Old 10-13-03, 02:10 PM
warm air

Many times the problem is a blocked air return. You should get your make-up mirror and a flash light, pull out the return registar and see if maybe kids in the past had thrown something down in the return. If you have AC in the central air, replace the air filter with a pleated air filter. This is assuming the room in question has little air flow in??? If there is no return duct, install a louver in the bottom half of the door to allow air to get back to the furnace. The furnace or thermostat should give you the option to get continuous air flow from the fan in the furnace. Running this at all times will help balance the system to maintain an even temperature thoughout the house. If you have access to the damper controls you could actually choke back the more powerful ones to force the air to the smaller room, in moderation. One other option is to speed up the fan to produce a bit more CFM if you have the ability to do that on your fan. These are usually three speed fan motors. The three speeds are Black-high, blue-med, red-low.