Whole House fan louvers - NOISY

Old 10-13-03, 02:52 PM
andyaust
Visiting Guest
Whole House fan louvers - NOISY

With the help of some other DIY'ers, I installed a GAF 30" whole house fan last weekend. I followed all the rules of the whole house fan install/use: I increased the sq. footage of attic ventilation above min. requirements as stated on the installation manual and I open enough windows in the house to ensure adequate air intake of the fan during usage.

When I ran it without the louvers, it was super quiet and I was stoked. However, in putting the louvers on, I increased the noise created by about 20 dB (or by about 10 clicks on the TV volume). I think most of the noise from the louvers is coming from the louver "springs" that allow the louvers to work in unison, but I am not 100% certain.

Any advice in reducing the louver noise???

Old 10-13-03, 03:16 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
OEM

I would call the manufacturer on that one!

Old 10-13-03, 04:40 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
fan noise

I noticed that when a window or door is open near the intake, the louvers on mine will rattle too. Try closing the windows near the unit. 10-15 feet. and open windows farther away. Next run the unit on the low speed to see if that helps. Double check your attic vent mesurements. Fyi I mounted my fan about 4 feet from the hole in the ceiling, useing plywood and rigid insulation to create a duct. This also help to reduce noise by moving the fan away from the louvers. I suspect turbulent air is creating your noisey louvers.

Old 10-14-03, 10:56 AM
andyaust
Visiting Guest
Re: noisy louvers

Thanks for the tips.

1. Contacted GAF and they have offered to send me new louvers free of charge. Sweet!

2. You are probably right in your assessment of the turbulent air. I have already tried some of the suggestions: Closed the nearby windows and run it at lower speeds with little success. Slower speeds reduces the noise but it's still pretty loud. I don't have the room in the attic to build a duct, but I sealed my current duct pretty well with plenum boards and foam. I wish I could move it ~4 ft away from the louvers. I'm sure that would help immensely. If the new louvers don't fix it, then I'll probably add more undereave vents to try to alleviate the problem.

Old 10-14-03, 06:56 PM
H
the drive

is it belt driven or direct drive?

Old 10-16-03, 05:35 PM
andyaust
Visiting Guest
house fan info

It's a GAF 30BWHFS, 1/3 HP belt drive, 6000 CFM

Old 10-17-03, 12:44 PM
H
Belt driven???

Great!, now you can adjust the speed to lessen the amp draw AND most likely reduce the noise by purchasing an adjustable sheave, or buy a larger pulley on the fan side....basically put, reducing the load and slowing down the rotation and noise....better control too. In HVAC we always use adjustable sheaves on the motor.

Old 10-17-03, 12:48 PM
H
belt tension

Caution, the biggest killer of belts and bearing are over tightened belts, you should have between 1/2" and 1" of deflection in most cases. If the belt shreiks even after running a minute, it's too loose, or if the belt is running faster than the pulley.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: