pilot light

Old 10-15-03, 08:40 AM
nala
Visiting Guest
pilot light

Me again, I am sorry I hear more of a continual buzzing sound when I turn thermostat up to get heater to turn on, the buzz is continual- it doesn't automattically shut off, just keeps buzzing until you turn the heater offor turn thermo down, I have no idea where to look for sparks on this unit, never had and electronic starter,before but I did look down by the burners, I do have gas in the kitchen, but I am the one that changes filters and I never turned the gas off on this unit but will check it Thanks!

Old 10-15-03, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Note for the future: When you need to answer a question hit the button "Post Reply" that way your subject is contained in 1 thread. "Ask Question" Is for any new problems not related to the original.

If the ignitor is buzzing and it's not firing up and the gas is on you may have a problem with the gas valve or circuit board. If it's been more than a year since the furnace has been cleaned and safety checked now would be a good time.

Old 10-15-03, 11:18 AM
nala
Visiting Guest
cleaning and safety check

how do you clean a gas heater and do a safety check?

Old 10-15-03, 11:43 AM
Honestly I'd love to help you, but it seems like you are very unsure what or where you are looking for this pilot set up..

To be Safe, i would call in a Trane dealer and have them find out what's wrong, and have them have the system checked over.

Yes, you will pay more for them to do it vs DIY, but You can not replace your life if you did something wrong.

Old 10-15-03, 11:48 AM
nala
Visiting Guest
gas valve and circuit board

forget the cleaning,can someone please tell me how to check gas valve and circuit board ouput, I can't afford to have this repaired. This doesn't say much for Trane heaters, my first one lasted 20 yrs, no problems until the end.

Old 10-15-03, 12:30 PM
ok, First step, we want to make sure the inducer fan is running, If that is running, and the ignition system (Spark or Hot Surface Ignitor) should be trying to light the main burner, but we need to know what you got for ingnition system on your furance..

Old 10-15-03, 07:02 PM
nala
Visiting Guest
Fan and Hot surface ignitor

When the furnace is turned on, you hear buzzing but no fans come on (when in heater mode), according to model paperwork I have a hot surface igition(is the fan the little one inside the cabinet or the bigger blower fan, neither run) by the way I also checked fuses, they were put in for this unit and are a little over 4 yrs old and look good,all were in "On" position. the fan, when I turn on air conditioner, blower fan comes on right away.

Old 10-15-03, 09:17 PM
the fan I was refering to is the small inducer fan in the burner area. The humming noise maybe is the fan is stuck..

Turn on the unit again, and put your hands on it.. If it feels the noise is coming from that, and/or the motor feels pretty warm. that maybe your problem.

Turn off the power, and see if you can turn the shaft between the motor and fan housing. (some model, you won't be able to get to the shaft)

If it's pretty stiff, the the bearings may of gone out. If you can't get to the shaft, carefully remove the assembly and see if something is caught inside to cause it not to turn.

Old 10-16-03, 11:01 AM
nala
Visiting Guest
I've got heat!!!!!!

I got heat!!!!!!!!!I checked buzzing it was the little fan, turned off power, took cage off turned it slightly and it was somewhat caught, but turns freely now, it sounds "dry", kind of metal against metal(not loud) ,how should it sound, I let it cycle through one heating cycle, the fan only got warm(not hot, just warm) the black box attached to it got warmer than thatI have never had the cover off during a cycle of heat,is that an indication of bearings going out? or is that just normal?Thanks a bunch, my dog thanks you and my kids thank you and I thank you. Is there a thread on how to do yearly maintenance on it that you know of? Thanks again, but I do need to know if I need to get parts just in case this stops in January and we are snowed in.

Old 10-16-03, 11:16 AM
Talking

Glad to hear you got heat! I am in Minnesota, and haven't turn on our heat yet! lol and do have a window open about 3" for fresh air..

Anyway, Lot of the newer motor are sealed, and you are not able to oil it.. But it would not hurt to take a look to see if you do have oil port on the motor. Also check your owner's manual.

If there is no oil port, then chances are the bearing maybe frezzing up on you..

You can go to a wholesale and see if they will sell you a new one or from a dealer. Make sure you have your model number with you.

Hate to see you get caught in a "snow-storm" :-) and not able to get out of the house.

Again, Glad to help you out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: