need to extend a/c duct in attic

Old 08-08-00, 07:36 PM
Visiting Guest
The central air conditioning ducts in our Florida home are in the attic (crawl space). The ducts are of the rigid fiberglass type with a thin foil outer surface. Due a remodeling project, I need to move one of the outlets about 1 foot from its current location. This outlet is on a feeder duct that runs horizontally about 8 feet from the main trunk, then makes a 90 degree bent and travels down 3 feet to the register that needs moving. I want to extend the 8 foot feeder by cutting it and adding 1 foot of the same type of fiberglass material, then sealing it with duct tape. I am a little concerned that I could be overlooking something. I can’t find any do-it-yourself books on AC duct work.

1-Should I use a special sealant besides the tape?
2-Should I bring a new 8 foot feeder made of the flex stuff ?
3-Should I leave this one to a professional?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 08-10-00, 05:58 PM
Visiting Guest
RMATOS,
If you feel up to it go ahead and move it however a professional should not be to expensive and he should know what he is doing
If you move I recommend not using the flex type material as that adds restriction to the air flow that may cause a problem if its to long.
If you add on to the run make sure you use the type of tape specified by the manufator of the duct this is usually not "grey duct tape" but a type of foil tape. We use a heat tape called "thermoloc" and also staple the joints but this does take a little experiance
Try calling a heating contractor maybe he could set you up with the right material
Good Luck
Louie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: