Replacing boiler circulator pump

Old 10-17-03, 08:16 AM
mikeyb2321
Visiting Guest
Question Replacing boiler circulator pump

Hello. I am a new homeowner and have no idea what I'm doing. The circulator pump on my gas boiler is making a loud noise (it's about 15 years old). The gaskets look terrible as well, and I've decided to replace the the pimp and gaskets before the Massachusetts winter hits. Can anyone tell me the necessary steps to replacing this thing? I feel like I'm going to blow up my house. Also, what kind of tools might I need?
Freezing in Mass,
mike.
(Thanks!)

Old 10-17-03, 09:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler

You sure its not just the pump coupler here? What pump do you have there now.Do you know if you can get the same pump for it? ED

Old 10-17-03, 09:42 AM
mikeyb2321
Visiting Guest
I'm pretty sure i can get one at the local heating supply store. Also, I don't know what a coupler is. (I'm pathetic.)

My plan was to take the pump (and gaskets) out, bring them to the store, and have them tell me what to do. (Risky)

Of course, I wouldn't even know how to take it out without blowing up the house. I suppose I should shut off the gas first.

Old 10-17-03, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
boiler

Dont know for sure here but i think you should have this looked at . Be there and see what they do and ask how the whole boiler works. Then next time you can go into it. For what you have now you would turn the power off to the boiler. Turn the water off at the auto fill. Just drain the pressure off the boiler if you can work fast or drain the boiler all the way down. Put the new pump in .Hope you have the same flanges and the same say 6 1/2" flange to flange are what ever the old pump is. Now turn on the water and power for heat go around and start bleeding it all then bleed it all again. If you drain it all the way down yes you can take it out and go to the store with it ok. turn the power off and the water fill off and drain it. The coupler is from the motor to the pump one end is on the motor and the other end is on the pump ED

Old 10-17-03, 12:40 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Usually the motor fails before the actual pump itself. The motors can be replaced without opening the system. Easier on the newer 'cartridge' types than some of the older coupled types. I would try and disconnect and remove just the motor and test it before draining the system.
Unless you see evidence of leaking, the part of the gasket you can see is not doing anything. The part making the seal is trapped between the flange faces. No leak, no problem.

Old 10-17-03, 12:52 PM
mikeyb2321
Visiting Guest
I'll give this a shot this weekend. Thanks guys.

Old 10-17-03, 01:20 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Problems

If you get in a bind, call Harvey & Son in Weymouth 781-331-3524. Ask for Norm...he's does the best work I've ever seen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: