Cleaning inside A/C evaporator

Old 08-12-00, 12:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello,

I have a split system with a somewhat dirty inside evaporator. I would like to know how to clean the evaporator myself if possible. I have read through several messages both here and in the archives - some messages refer to a section that describe how to do this type of cleaning; however, I was unable to find. If someone could point me in the right direction or better yet give me some direct information that would be great.

Also, great site! I have learned much reading through the messages.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-00, 01:25 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I have cleaned my own. When you gain access to the A coil...vacuum the coils. Brush them with a soft brush. Spray them with 409 or any grease cutter. Rinse them several times with clean water. Clean out the drip/condensate pan as best you can. Blow out the drain hose, pour some bleach water into the pan to go into the drain hose to kill algae. If your evaporator fan/blower is "under" the A coil, air blowing UP thru the coil, then the bottom/underneath/ inside of the A coil will be dirty as well. This is hard to get to sometimes. You can buy a comb to use, but be careful not to bend the fins. It's a job, but saves you about $120.00 on the coil cleaning alone. While you are at it, you might need to pull the squirrel cage out and clean the blades on the blower, if you can. Make sure all power is off, first, of course.

Just my experience.
Juli