thermostat 10 degrees off

Old 10-17-03, 07:32 PM
Z262004
Visiting Guest
thermostat 10 degrees off

In the summer when I needed it I turned the thermomstat down to 70 and when the sun was out the thermostat always read 80 in the house. Help please, I know didly squat about hvac so speak laymans terms.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-03, 08:52 PM
What kind of T-Stat you have?

Honeywell Round Stat?

Digital?

Old 10-18-03, 03:04 AM
Thermostat out 10 degrees?

Are you saying the heating system was working until the thermometer read 80 or was the system off at 70?
ie Did the solar gain raise the temperature even after the system shut down at the 70 the stat was set to?

Old 10-18-03, 05:20 AM
If it is a round Honeywell thermostat, the important information you need to gather is:
1. Does the thermostat turn on at 1 degree below the setpoint?
2. Does it turn off at the setpoint?
3. Is it the same for heat and cool?
It should be within a degree or two at most of the setpoint. Sometimes the heat anticipator inside the thermostat is set incorrectly for heat. Or the fixed anticipator for cooling might fail. It is extremely important that the thermostat is mounted level. If you remove it from the sub-base, the top of the sub-base has a flat area for putting a level on. There can be no draft inside the wall that could come out the hole where the thermostat wire is and falsely trigger the thermostat. You may need to stuff that hole around the wire with a tissue or something soft to stop the air.

If it isn't a round one, you might consider getting one. They are the simplest and most tried and true thermostat out there. It is called the T87 by Honeywell.

Old 10-18-03, 09:33 AM
Z262004
Visiting Guest
yeah it's a Honeywell round t-stat and when I turn it to 70 to make it 70 in the house it always reads 80 in the temperature part and stays running the whole time instead of cutting on and off every so often but when the sun goes down and it cools off outside it will go down to about 74 but never will it read 70. Hope that clear it up better.

Old 10-18-03, 09:36 AM
tstat

If you do change it turn power off and mark down the color code for what the wires or on before you start.
On the round one like Ken said pull the cover off and you can see at what temp it turns on and off as you roll the tstat up and down. Has it done this all the time? sound like the anticipator is not set right. should be pushed down some

ED

Old 10-19-03, 12:13 AM
Thermostat 10 d out

If I remember correctly the round Honeywell stats have a mercury switch in them and it is VERY important that they be LEVEL otherwise the reading will be all up the swcrewif. There is usually marking in the inside to indicate the level position.
Having said that thermostats are only a guide to comfort. What's more important is whether you feel comfortable. Inside there is usually an allan screw adjustment to adjust the hairspring thermometer pointer back to a trurer reading. Suggest you get an Actuate thermometer and then adjust the allan screw to the correct reading watching that you hands or breath doesn't give you a false reading.
Then check whether the thermostat reading corresponds with the thermometer reading.
I wouldn't get to het up about as I said before whats more important is your comfort level rather then what the thermometer reads.
As some one as already said TURN the juice off BEFORE playing with the stat.

Old 10-22-03, 05:36 AM
Z262004
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your help =]

Old 10-22-03, 07:25 AM
Tstat

Have also found on this tstat. Lots of time that bimetal coil in it just get dust in and on it. This will kick it off temp also. Its a lot like keep the smoke alarm clean. Vacuum it now and then also the tstat ED