remove a wall heating vent

Old 10-19-03, 08:29 PM
slab44
Visiting Guest
remove a wall heating vent

Is it possible for a do it yourselfer to disconnect a heat vent located in the wall and re-route it to come up through the floor inches from its current location? Before you ask, a patio door is going to be installed where the wall is now. If yes, where should I look for instructions? If not, is my furance guy the best one to contract with or would any reliable handyman know what he's doing? Any quess on what I might expect to pay?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-03, 09:01 AM
You can do it yourself. If your handy with tools. Or a pretty good handyperson can do the job as well..

Last edited by Jay11J; 10-20-03 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-20-03, 10:06 AM
If you are just wanting to take out the wall vent and put it in the floor this is a DIY project if you feel comfy cutting a hole in your floor. If not any HVAC Co. or good handy man can get it done.

Can you get to the duct below the floor?

Home Improvement store should carry what you need. Which should just be a boot for the floor and a new vent. You will cut the hole in the floor, fit the boot in and secure it, then attach the duct and vent cover.

Old 10-20-03, 10:08 AM
Question INFO

Lost here, did you mean a heat outlet and register that you have to just move over some ???? Yes you can ED

Old 10-21-03, 05:07 PM
slab44
Visiting Guest
Thanks everyone. I'm heading off to the hardware store. I'll let you know how things go.

Old 10-21-03, 05:20 PM
move heat

Ask for a 90o boot here. You can get a floor register in 2 1/4"X 10"-12"-14" also in 4"X. Cut floor so boot will just fit in tack nail it and drop the register in. ED