Leaky Radiator Valves

Old 10-20-03, 05:49 PM
netsurfr
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Leaky Radiator Valves

We just bought an older home that has a hot water boiler and radiators throughout the 2 floors and basement. I have noticed that pretty much all the radiators are leaking water out of their bleeding valves. I have turned the valves a few times hoping that it would fix the problem but no luck. I have also noticed that 2 of the shut off valves by the boiler are also leaking water. We just had the system checked and cleaned and although the leaks were there before the maintenace call it was not nearly as bad as it is now. I'm wondering if anyone can help with with ideas on how to fix the problem or what the cause may be. I know the pressure reducing valve was cleaned and it seemed to have a lot of "crap" in there.Could this be causing too much water pressure in the system and therefore the bleeder valves on the radiators are leaking???? I looked at the pressure gauge on the boiler and it reads around 15psi with the pump/system not running.

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-03, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
15 psi isn't abnormally high for system pressure. The air vents may just need replacement. You may be able to put hose caps on the leaky drain valves near the boiler. If they aren't drain valves, then they must be leaking at the packing nut (where the handle comes out). On some valves you can snug up the packing nut. On others, there is no repair.

Old 10-21-03, 06:26 AM
netsurfr
Visiting Guest
Leaks

Thanks for the info... I took a closer look and realized that the pressure in the system is at 20+ psi when the system is not running vs. the 15 that I had thought when I first posted. I also realized the problem with the basement leaks were the packing nuts so that's fixed but the radiator bleed valves are still leaking. I was able to tighten some of them and this slowed the leak but it's still there. Could this be an indication that there is too much water pressure and if so how can I fix this?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-21-03, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The pressure is not really the problem with the radiator valves. If they are the style that was supposed to be semi-automatic, they need to be replaced. I have never seen the regular vents cause that much of a problem.