Duct in the way of sheetrock...what to do?

Old 10-21-03, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct in the way of sheetrock...what to do?

Recently I had an A/C unit installed in my basement. They used 8" flex duct in the room that I have a concern with...the duct sits around 4 inches lower then where I need it to. I am installing 8' ceilings, and when I try to install the sheetrock, I have to press the sheetrock against the duct work. I am concerned that after time, the connection between the duct and the plentum will turn loose...then it will be a nightmare to fix. The duct has no room at the top, since the top of the duct rests right up against the top plate of the 2x4 wall.

Should I have them come back out and fix it...or build a chase around it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-03, 06:53 AM
If that 8" pipe is needed for that room to take care of temp/airflow problem in that room, then you will have to build around the duct.. I would STRONLY suggest take the flex out, and install all metal! it will improve the air flow MUCH more.

Old 10-21-03, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Jay11J
If that 8" pipe is needed for that room to take care of temp/airflow problem in that room, then you will have to build around the duct.. I would STRONLY suggest take the flex out, and install all metal! it will improve the air flow MUCH more.

What size metal duct? Obviously 8 inch metal duct will not fit. Will 6 inch metal, provide the same CFM's as 8 inch flex? If so, please explain.

Old 10-21-03, 09:58 AM
Duct work

Dont know just what you have there. But If you have a 8" feed now You can make it into 2--6" runs are you can duct it in with a 6"X8"SQ set like 6" deep. Let you hav e the same cfm.If you told them what you where going to do and they did this .Yes call them back. ED

Old 10-22-03, 03:45 AM
Re: Duct work

Originally posted by Ed Imeduc
Dont know just what you have there. But If you have a 8" feed now You can make it into 2--6" runs are you can duct it in with a 6"X8"SQ set like 6" deep. Let you hav e the same cfm.If you told them what you where going to do and they did this .Yes call them back. ED
Yeah...I called them, and they are coming out Thursday to look at it (along with a plumber to fix what he didn't do right either)...I figured I payed them to install this, they knew I was installing 8' ceilings, so now I will let them fix this.

I just want to make sure that when they tell me what they want to do to resolve the issue, that I am aware of all the options.

Thanks for the help.