Heating and cooling an addition and garage

Old 10-21-03, 08:06 PM
cserpe
Visiting Guest
Heating and cooling an addition and garage

I currently have a forced air furnace that outputs 97,000 btu and a central air conditioning unit, which I believe is 2.5 tons. My home is 1200 sq ft, with a 900 sq ft. basement (vents are closed in the basement all year. I just built a new garage and a breezeway to connect the house and garage. The garage is 22' x 24' and the breezway is 10' x 43'. My Furnace is approxamtely 25' from the breezway and roughly 75' from my garage. I would like to heat and cool both the garage and breezeway.

My question is: Can I use my existing furnace and AC to do the job? I plan on adding a booster fan in the ductwork as it enters the breezeway. Or, do you think my exsisting furnace can handle the breezway and I have to seperately heat and cool the garage, or do I leave the existing furnace do take care of the house and get a unit big enough to do the garage and breezeway?

Also, are there any codes stating where insulated flexible ductwork can or cannot be used, such as in Illinois?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
cserpe

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-03, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heat &Cool

You have to come up with what the load is for all the new room and garage first and go from there. Id forget about a booster fan. They dont work to good. Id think 2 units here. For code ,ask there where you are. Their all different. ED

Old 10-22-03, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why do you want to cool your garage?

Most area it's not allow to use the home main system to heat your garage due to fumes from cars that may be running in the garage.

Also, would you want the smell of gas, lawnmower that just been used.. ect into the house? I sure wouldn't.

Old 10-22-03, 08:55 AM
cserpe
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info Ed and Jay