bathroom exhaust through PVC

Old 10-22-03, 12:12 PM
bigmanharrison
Visiting Guest
bathroom exhaust through PVC

Anyone know if it is OK to use PVC instead of that coiled white flexible stuff? I would like to run both the bathroom exhaust fan line and the dryer exhaust through 4" PVC pipe. (separate lines of course) My lines are currently sagging and I want to clean it up by using PVC.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-03, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine that it's against code, it just seems like a bit of overkill though. A little more costly solution than is needed. The smooth bore of the PVC will carry the air more smoothly but it's exhaust, not your AC or heat. Just as important is to make sure that both are vented to the outside, not just dumping moist air into your attic!! Your attic is VENTED, right?

Frank

Old 10-23-03, 10:09 AM
bigmanharrison
Visiting Guest
Both are vented outside.

Thanks for the input

Old 10-23-03, 10:33 AM
Vents

We run both to the outside with sheetmetal duct or pipe as need be. On the dryer dont forget the heat on the PVC pipe ED

Old 10-23-03, 10:42 AM
ED,

If I am not mistaken, PVC venting is not permitted by code on Gas dryers!

This should be addressed by your local building authority or HVAC installers to confirm and maintain safe application.

They may allow the PVC but it probably must be at least x amount of feet away from the unit to be acceptable.

Just another thought as you brought up the heat issue.

Old 10-23-03, 05:28 PM
PVC is not a good choise

as stated earlier, it's overkill....use standard metal vent pipe... it's easier to support than that heavy PVC and in a fire it doesn't put out any poisonous gases like plastics do. For the dryer, many want you to use the flexible extendable aluminum flex hose, very light, very cheap, and durable. Read the owners manual on the dryer requirements...if they allow the vinyl hose, use the aluminum instead. I have it on mine! I vacuumed it out this year but there was nothing in it suprisingly enough, after 10 years.

Old 10-23-03, 05:40 PM
well hung flex is totally acceptale, use the metallic, hang it often and level to the end. sags will fill with condensation

Old 10-23-03, 06:04 PM
Adivse from an Appliance Sales Person, if you got the flex dryer vent... GET RID of it! They are the worst thing to put on your dryer.. install the ridged pipe.

With the flex, you have a good chance of getting lint build up, and lint build up leads to lost of air flow, and also a fire to waiting to happen.

New dryers you buy nowdays, they got a paper taped to the dryer itself saying "DO NOT USE FLEX" otherwise warrnity will be voided.

Little bit of flex don't hurt the bathroom fan.. or use the ridged metal pipe.

Old 10-23-03, 06:11 PM
Jay11J,

Just had rental inspection and metal flexible duct was on gas dryer. Got tagged - only rigid is allowed on gas dryers. Landlord didn't know it was not legal.

Old 10-23-03, 06:16 PM
like I said earl;ier

after ten years of operation...no build up at all....none!
I too have heard this and I think what more likely happens is the lint filter doesn't get cleaned out before each load and the heat builds up and backs into the dryer,...although they do have high limit safety's to prevent that. If you have no lint trap/ screen...it will build up in smooth pipe just as well. I also removed the back of the dryer and vacuumed that out as well, although not much there either. Gas dryers MAY be a different story...not sure there...

Old 10-23-03, 08:25 PM
HVAC,

You must be lucky or something! lol I've cleaned many dryer gas or electric, and I always seen the flex stuff all plugged up... Thier eyes pops out when I show them the lint build up of 3 or more years of use.