Furnace Filter -- proper placement

Old 10-22-03, 08:13 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Furnace Filter -- proper placement

This is the third home that I have lived in where the filter just kind of sits vertical in the space provided without any real support.

It is a filter 20x25x1 and it sits vertically against the air return with nothing providing support. Would it be better to lay it at a 45 degree angle so that it will not tip away from the air return?

I am sure many have this question.

Thank you, Brad

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-03, 08:44 AM
Filter

You should have some kind of frame or holder for it .Lets say so all of the air going to the furnace has to go through the filter.The filter should be so it dont move around. If you set it at a 45o would all the cold air have to go through it. Then ok ED

Old 10-23-03, 05:33 PM
The slot

If you look around, you should have a U shaped slot that it slides into. If not, you need to get one! Otherwise the nightmares of low air flow will follow you everywhere. And use a pleated air filter, fiberglass filters remove only the leaves and moths.

Old 10-23-03, 05:40 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
No there is no u-shaped slot. The only house we ever had the u-shaped slot on was in Kansas. We have never had that nice setup on home in Colorado. Do not know the reason, but it is a little irritating.

Could I install one of those myself with sheet metal screws or pop rivets and where would I buy that kind of a setup?

Thanks, Brad.

Old 10-23-03, 05:53 PM
yep

install the u channel top and bottom at the return duct entry to the unit, be sure you can get a filter that size. how many returns do you have? filter grilles may be the answer.

Old 10-23-03, 05:57 PM
We're not in Kansas anymore!

Sorry...just had to do that..
Sure the sheet metal thing is fine. The only caution is if you have screws in the slot it plays hell on trying to slide a filter in there. Try some liquid nails in a chaulking gun tube fan off, filter out, and clamp it in place. This stuff holds great. Keep it one continuous piece and cut straight down on the two parts of the vertical U shape so that the bottom is still connected and bend to a right angle, do the same on the other end. Make it loose by 1/4" to make it easy to change. Use stock 1X1X1 minimum.

Old 10-24-03, 10:36 AM
filter

The pop rivets will work to hold the U channel in. Head side in the u channel so the filter dont hang up on them. ED