new heat pump and ducts smell like shower curtain

Old 10-25-03, 05:19 AM
tunicabird
Visiting Guest
new heat pump and ducts smell like shower curtain

My new heat pump system and all new ductwork was installed about 10 days ago. The air coming out smells like a new shower curtain. How long will this smell last? The installer said it should go away in a few days but it is still there. Any ideas? The unit is a maytag package heat pump with uv light in the return duct.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 03:10 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
This sounds similar to "new car smell" and the reason is the off gassing of chemical compounds that released over time. Heat will drive the process faster. Turn on the heat, open the windows and it will go faster. How long? No one can say.

If you happen to be allergicly sensitive, you may have a serious health issue. The culprit is probably the plastic drain pan.

Old 10-29-03, 02:33 PM
tunicabird
Visiting Guest
On Monday the contractor came out and inspected the whole system. They took the unit apart, checked all wires, and checked the motors. They took out the u-v light and inspected it as well. When the men came inside they agreed that they could smell the plastic odor from the vents but there was nothing wrong, it would just have to wear off. I talked to Maytag today and the man told me it was more than likely the plastic lined ductwork and it would just have to wear off. Does that sound right? I don't remember this problem with my first system when it was installed, but it was done in the spring and I was running the air instead of the heat.

Old 10-30-03, 05:35 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
Heat drives out the volitile (smelly) chemicals. This should make it more intense but shorten the time needed. Turn on the heat and leave the windows open for a day or two to get the run time and dilute the odors until the smell goes away.