filter question

Old 10-25-03, 04:27 PM
pdelucia
Visiting Guest
filter question

Hello,

I am trying to replace the filter in my heating unit. The filter that is in there measures 22 1/2 in x 25 inches. It is one of those black famed thin filters. I have been looking and I cannot seem to find filters of that size. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick some up? I checked loews, home depot, and about 3 plumbing supply stores.

Thank you,
Peter.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-03, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filter

Dont know the size of the unit you have. But have cut filter down if it dont hurt the return air any. cut a 3/4"X 2 3/4"X25" wood filler.Tack a metal U channel on it to slip over the filter end. This way you can get a 20"X25" filter ED

Old 10-25-03, 07:29 PM
If your filter slides in on the side, you can use the 20 x 25 x 1 filter. You'll have about 2 1/2 inches sticking out, and that won't hurt anything.

If you are worried about sucking the air out of the room the furance is in then do what Ed suggested.

You are maybe wondering why this was done?

One, they have the duct work sized to have it ready for an April Air Space Guard filter..

April Air Space Guard Filter.

If dust or allgery is an issue with you and your family, I would strongly suggest this system, or upgrade to the better April Air 5000 filter..

Old 10-25-03, 07:53 PM
thin???

what is the dimension of thin?

Old 10-26-03, 08:18 AM
pdelucia
Visiting Guest
Hello,

The filter that is in there is about 1/2" think. It is very old. I have been looking for a filter to fit for allergy reasons. I bought a 20x25 filter and put that one in. I leaves about 2 1/2 inches on the side. The unit stands upright, have two back metal panels that can be removed. The top one exposes the heating jets, and bottom one exposed the area for the filter. The filter slides in a fits horizontally in the unit. All the filtrete filters I have seen, don't come in either of the sizes that I am looking for (22 1/2 x 25 or 24 x 25). I might be able to buy a 25 x 25, but then won't cutting it down mess it up?

It is a Rheem Criterion II Gas Furnance. I found their website (http://www.rheemac.com/residential/f...s/criterion2/#) and they say that their filter is a permanent filter. Does this mean that I just have to clean it and shouldn't use the depot filters?

Thanks for your help,
Peter.

Old 10-26-03, 08:59 AM
Filter

Like I said cut a board to make up the 2 1/2" if you want . Are I have cut them down to fit. Cut the 2 1/2" off save the edge and just slide it back on the filter and tape it on. Purolator has both 20"X 25" and 25"X25" in their pleat filters. ED

Old 10-26-03, 09:07 AM
pdelucia
Visiting Guest
I will do that, thank you.. But is it ok to replace the "permanent" filter with a pleat filter?

Old 10-26-03, 09:15 AM
Filter

Yes for sure and it will do a better job than what you have. ED

Old 10-26-03, 03:58 PM
pdelucia
Visiting Guest
ok...thanks again,
Peter.

Old 10-28-03, 01:35 PM
Won't fit

reason being it won't slide into a 1/2" slot. The standard filters are 1". You might be able to order a custom made filter from a filter company like Filter Sales in Boston. To me it sounds like you have a washable air filter. Backwash it with soap and water, and rinse well and dry well....(vacuum the majority of dirt first.) If you have allergies get rid of that mess and get a Spaceguard 201, it's definately not a do it yourself job, contact your HVAC man to do this. Change as needed...monitor once a month till you find out how long it takes to get dirty. Always have a spare on site. Your sinuses will thank you.

Old 10-28-03, 04:50 PM
pdelucia
Visiting Guest
This unit is maybe 4 or 5 years old. I can't believe that this make of furnace only support custom filters. The one inch filter fits, it just needs of bit of help. I just have one question - I just want to make sure - if I replace the permanent filter will a one inch pleat filter, will I break anything? or risk maybe over heating anything?

thanks,
Peter.

Old 10-28-03, 05:24 PM
You should be fine with the pleted filters. Just make sure you change them out when they get dirty.

Old 10-28-03, 05:44 PM
pdelucia
Visiting Guest
Ok..thank you
Peter.