new upflow forced air furnace

Old 10-26-03, 08:56 AM
moonlander2
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down new upflow forced air furnace

dear mr or ms expert i just replaced my 30 yr old upflow forced airoil furnace i followed the manufactured instrution to the letter.i notice that the furnace wasnt getting fuel after a couple of min of operation.i disconnected the maine fuel line from the oil filer and it turned out to bone dry i have 260 gal in the oil tank. i tried to clear the main fuel line but their were no risrictions in thelines. i tried to fire it up again but the furnace went back in to lockout mode i wonder being that i have under ground oil tank and a furnace that is a high boy may be i would need a 2 stage fuel pump to draw the fuel from the oil tank for operation. p.s. i have no fuel flowing to the furnace. please repley thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 09:09 AM
Oil pumps

What did you have before? Did the old oil burner have a 2 stage pump on it? Do you have a return oil line there are can you put one in?Some times a pump will pick up the oil if you open the bleeder as the burner runs. shut the bleeder when it goes on safety then try again. You do need a 2 stage here for sure ED

Old 10-26-03, 09:54 AM
moonlander2
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down new furnace upflow oil

ed thank you for your repley. i did try a few times to bleed the system with the unit running using the bleed screw yesterday no help. no oil in the lines. i do have a 2pipe sys in/return and i dont know if i had a 2 stage pump in the old sys i am only assuming that i needed a 2stage pump i have under ground tank shouldent this sys work on agravity feed principal. i still have the old burner how can i know for sure if it had a 2tage pump and if this is not the problem what can it be .thank you again

Old 10-26-03, 10:13 AM
Oil pumps

INFO INFO
Did the old burner pump have 2 lines on it??????

Did you put the 2 lines on the new pump. If the old pump had 2 lines on it, it was 2 stage

Did this new burner there by the pump have a bag with it and had a little pipe plug in it?????

Look at the paper work that came with the unit. You can make a pump 2 stage when you put the plug in it. some you have to turn a head around on the pump

Also could you have the lines wrong on the pump and be trying to get oil out of the return line and its not down in the oil??

See what line you can blow back into the tank with that would be the return line. The other line should be the intake line for the pump.
You sure you have no air leaks in the line or at the oil filter??
ED

Old 10-26-03, 10:38 AM
moonlander2
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down new upflow forced air furnace

ed.yes the old furnace had 2 lines 1return the other inlet and on the new furnace i have 2inlet 1return which i am assuming that the question you asked in reference to a pipe. i did have to installed a 1/4 pluge in the returne line hole in the unit paperwork called for a 2pipe sys plug it with this plug i also had to called the manufacture in reference to the plug and the 2inlets. manuf said i could use any of the 2 inlets and they also said if i am using a2 pipr sys plug the return 1/4 inch provided so i am assuming that the plug i used may be convert it automatically 2 a 2 stage pump.

Old 10-26-03, 10:57 AM
Oil pumps

Yes that plug you put in made the pump 2 stage. Ok are we sure we have the right line on the intake side of the pump. No leaks at all in the filter or line.
You could take off the return line and put a can under the return outlet turn the burner on and see if you get any oil that way to start. Make sure you can shut it off if you try this.
With a 2 stage set up the burner should prime itself. You sure you have the right lines at the right place on the pump

Old 10-26-03, 12:26 PM
moonlander2
Visiting Guest
new upflow forced air furnace

ed. fired furnace with return disconnected no help.checked all lines for security and proper conn all found ok.ed i mentioned before that the new burner had 2 inlet conn 1 on the bottom 1 on the top i used the top one because it was easier to work with i dont think that would be a problem whould it. i did notice that when i turn on the unit with the return disc i saw bubbles and herd ahissing sound. old burner/gulf solor heat/cap65-1.50gph 12amps-115volts/1 phase cycle. new burnerbecket clean cut a2ea-6520/4gph 100-150psi /3450rpm 3gph/150-200psi 3450rpm. new furnace ultra 80 85000-97000btu. old furnace85000btuonly.

Old 10-27-03, 05:45 AM
Oil pumps

You sure you dont have any leaks in the oil line ? How high is the burner above the tank? ED

Old 10-28-03, 01:21 AM
Oil Furnace

Somtimes you have to run the burner for a while to be able to 'Suck' the oil up from an underground tank, asumming you
1) Have the little screw inside the pump (this converts the pump from a one pipe to a two pipe system (not 2 stage) Thsi little screw is usually about 3/16" dia.
2 you have the right pipe on the right connection on the pump.
Now disconnect the pipe from the return pipe from the pump and push a bit of hose over the pump connection and run to a container, then pull the light cell and cover with your hand and switch on the burner when you hear the spark allow the light from your torch to shine on to the cell this will fool the control into thinking the burner has lit up allow to run for a couple minutes untill the oil arrives. switch off and reconnect pipework and you should be away laughing.
If you don't get oil with in a couple 3 mins then you have problems.
You should get some one with test gear to comission the burner so it's adjusted correctly right amount of air etc. the manufacturers warranty may not hold unless you have a burner commisioned report.

Old 10-28-03, 05:38 AM
Just read most of this and want to make a few suggestions. We need to be sure you put the small allen head plug inside the pump. It is not a 1/4" plug. It is much smaller and actually falls through a 1/4" pipe size hole. Then we need to be sure you have the old suction pipe on the inlet to the pump and the old return connected to the return port on the pump. That is critical because both pipes do not sometimes go to the bottom of the oil tank. Are you sure you have a vacuum tight connection at the pump inlet. No compression fittings allowed. And no sloppy flares either. A small vacuum leak will kill your ability to prime and eventually kill the pump. If all else is correct, leave both lines connected to the pump and have a jumper wire with clips on each end if possible. Or a piece of thin wire and connect one end to one of the F terminals on the safety control. As soon as you hit the reset button and the burner starts, connect the other end of the jumper to the other F terminal. The control will not lock out under this condition and you can run for a few minutes to pick up the prime. Do not run for more than 3 minutes or you may start to damage the pump. If you have an oil filter (which you should) be sure a new cartridge is in it and it is sealed up correctly. If all this is done properly, the unit will fire pretty quickly. I have done it a hundred times and if the prime is hard to pick up it usually is because of a suction leak somewhere.

Let us know how it goes.
Ken