central air vs. window unit

Old 10-26-03, 01:18 PM
jrs259
Visiting Guest
central air vs. window unit

I have an attached two car garage to my house. I recently converted one half of the garage to a game room. My question is would you recommend an independent window air conditioning unit to cool it or could I run another duct from the existing central air unit. It is a small room, 14 x 9.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-03, 03:43 PM
A/C

ITs a lot of where what and how. Will the home AC be ok for this do you think it can take that room on and the home. Can you get to the duct work and put a run into the new room easy. Did you insulate it good. Most of the time you can add that much on. If you dont have a out of this world heat gain. ED

Old 10-26-03, 03:51 PM
lynn comstock
Visiting Guest
I agree with Ed.

The added duct should run all the way from the source. It is common to try to rob air from a nearby duct. This will almost always fail because there is not an EXCESS of air available to provide for the added space.

Old 10-29-03, 09:08 PM
binford
Visiting Guest
wall unit

If you use a window unit, make it a wall unit by cutting a hole just big enough for the A/C unit. This is provided you have a location that will not be a problem with the back of the unit hanging out of the garage.

Chances are the garage is the farthest room from the central A/C source. You would could add an internal duct fan to push the air out to this new room too.