mildew

Old 08-17-00, 01:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Noticed today that I have mildew forming on the outer edges on my ceiling a/c vents. Why would this happen? Is my house too humid and how can I correct it? It seems like a bad thing to me!
Also, how much would it cost to have my a/c ducts cleaned? It seems that some vents are blowing more air than others. And is it too big of a job for me to try myself. My house is about 1400 sq. ft.
Email me at klpdavis@hotmail.com if you have suggestions.
Thanks
klpdavis

Old 08-18-00, 04:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Mildew on the vent registers means that they are sweating. Easy check: remove the register and see if there is a sizeable gap around where the vent penetrates the ceiling. If there is, stuff it with insulation or canned foam and put the register back. This will keep the warm damp air in the attic from meeting the cold metal of the register.

It's possible that some vents may have better airflow than others. In theory, the system should be so balanced that equal amounts of air pass thru the furthest vents from the air handler as thru the closest. In practice, the reality of construction ends up with some compromises.

Two things you _can_ check: Is your filter kept changed or cleaned? Are there any leaks in the ductwork. If you can get into the attic easily, you can check there, and where the ductwork joins the Air Handler. If there's leaks, seal it up with the metallic adhesive tape (not the grey "duct" tape) made for the job.

Old 11-21-01, 05:12 PM
Hetch
Visiting Guest
Question Tub/Shower Surround

I want to add a shower head to old porcelin tub in my guest bathroom.
The existing tile only goes up to 4' above the floor. The rest is painted wall. What are some options for protecting the wall above the tile....besides replacing/patching more tile?

To they make any paints that would protect the walls almost as good as tile?
Any products like corian ever used?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: