2nd Floor Roof Ventilation

Old 08-16-00, 08:25 PM
Visiting Guest
I live in a 2 story english tudor with 2 bedrooms upstairs both with vaulted/cathedral ceilings that go right to the peak of the roof. By 4pm (in Chicago) the upstairs has significantly heated up, but the downstairs remains very cool (cool enough that the central AC doesn't need to come on). I noticed outside that my roof doesn't have any kind of vents along the peak or near the top. If I put those in might it help to reduce some of the heat build up inside the house?? Probably just vents that work when the wind blows rather than having them be powered. What type of person would install these vents?

Old 08-18-00, 06:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Call a local roofing contractor to install the vents however it may not solve the age old problem of cooling a house with one ac
Many things come in to play such as the amount of insulation , glass, which way the house is facing , size of unit ect. try adjusting the air flow (balance) to force more air upstairs. This could have an adverse effect on the heating season though. You may want to look into a zone for the upstairs or on the exterme end even a seperate unit it all depends on your comfort level and how much you are willing to do to correct the problem.
If you have no roof vents in I am suprised you don't have a condesation problem. If you need vents a roofing contrator could tell you and it is not a bad idea although it probably do little to fix you ac problem
Good Luck
Louie

Old 08-20-00, 07:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for writing. We actually have a window AC upstairs already (thanks goodness) which we run at night. The main peak of the roof runs N-S so it faces directly west in therefore gets full afternoon sun. We have no condensation build up - maybe we will this winter. I also have now noticed that our roof doesn't hang over far enough so that there are soffit vents installed underneath. I'm now not sure if putting vents near the top will do anything. I have closed off most of the AC vents in the basement and the first floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: