A/C icing up

Old 08-10-00, 05:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I need help. My central a/c freezes up when I turn the thermostat below 83. When it is working, it blows out cold air, but not enough to cool the house. It also runs constantly. The service man I called would only tell me that he could not give me a price until he had fixed it, and it would be very expensive. any advice wouold be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-00, 05:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Your system is likely low on freon, and possibly has dirty evaporator (air handler) coils. Have it leak tested and recharged.

A very large number of split systems have minor leaks, especially when they sit idle during the cooler weather.

If this mook tries to sell you a system or major parts, get a second opinion.

Old 08-19-00, 10:06 PM
Visiting Guest
No home a/c system should have a leak of any kind. Thats why they call it a sealed system. If it has a leak it should be fixed. They don't leak from just sitting idle. Cars yes (o-rings and seals). Not cental systems!

Old 08-20-00, 07:38 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by djshea:
No home a/c system should have a leak of any kind. Thats why they call it a sealed system. If it has a leak it should be fixed. They don't leak from just sitting idle. Cars yes (o-rings and seals). Not cental systems!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. They are _supposed_ to be sealed.

In the real world, king valves, shraeder valve cores, compression couplings, and solder joints _do fail_ and are the most common cause on refrigerant leaks. The leaks should be found and dealt with but these are mechanical weak points that do in fact contain o-rings and seals.

entropy always wins....