heating and cooling

Old 10-29-03, 04:58 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
heating and cooling

I'm having a heating and cooling problem. Nothing happens when I set the thermostat on anything, "No Blower, No AC, No heat".
I replaced the thermostat and nothing changed.
I live in a moble home and have had problems with mice and rats coming into the house where the blower unit is and I did find where they chewed the housing off 2 wires that come from the ac unit to the blower unit and those 2 now bare wires were touching, "1 of those wires conects to 1 of the 5 thermostate wires".
I have replaced those wires and still nothing happens.
I sure could use a little help, Thanks ,,,, Keith

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-03, 05:37 AM
It would be helpful for us to know what type of heat you have. The short circuit may have ruined a transformer but we can't tell you for sure until we know more.

Ken

Old 10-29-03, 07:39 AM
A/C

INFO INFO Do you have power to the unit Why the new tstat? Did you ohm out the old one to see if it works? lLike Ken said INFO INFO read post #1

Old 10-29-03, 08:38 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
The heating unit is all electric by "Intertherm", I'm having trouble finding finding the model number but I do have a digital camera and it would just take a few minutes to take a picture of the inside, I have all of the covers off showing the blower and the wiring to the heating panel, just let me know and I'll have that picture in a quick minute.
Thanks for helping me out,,,,, Keith

Old 10-29-03, 08:40 AM
A/C

DO YOU have power to the unit????? ED

Old 10-29-03, 08:52 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
There is power to the AC unit outside, I'm not sure how to check the power to the furnace without the thermostate helping me out, Keith

Old 10-29-03, 09:00 AM
A/C

Do you have a volt meter. To see if you have power to the unit ED

Old 10-29-03, 09:02 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
A picture of the furnace

Last edited by mustangsprings; 10-29-03 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-29-03, 09:09 AM
A/C

You have to find out if you have power there in the furnace? Are the breakers on or all fuses good? We have to know this ED

Old 10-29-03, 09:10 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
I don't have a volt meter and I do wish I did, is there another way to check it??
I really sorry that I can't be more help with my own problem!!!!!

Old 10-29-03, 09:14 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
The breakers are all on, I don't think there are any fuses unless I've missed something, I've been all over it with a flash light.

Old 10-29-03, 09:22 AM
furnace

Well we can try this at the tstat pull the wires off mark them down. Now take R should be red and put it to G the fan should come on?????? Is this a heat pump or just electric heat. How do you know there is power to the outside. ED

Old 10-29-03, 09:39 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
I checked the AC unit outside by pushing in on this magnetic like connector with a screw driver and the unit came on.
I'm not sure what the tstat is but I have the red and green wires I think your talking about marked out but before I put them togeather I wanted to check first, " Both the RED and Green wires I've marked are connected to several wires leading from the thermostate," I hate to send sparks flying!!!!!

Old 10-29-03, 09:46 AM
FURNACE

The R to the G should just turn fan on. This is only 24 volts there it wont hurt you. ED

the tstat means thermostat take the wires off it and put the R to the G and see if you get fan only

Old 10-29-03, 09:58 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
That was a nifty little reply you had, I guess you didn't fall for the sparks alibi.
I put the 2 wires togeather and nothing happened, not a sound!!
I took a picture of the unit and posted it, Were you able to see it?? It showed everything there pretty clear???

Old 10-29-03, 10:14 AM
FURNACE

picture wont do it. Have to know if you have power.Get a volt meter or small multitester $10.00 so you can ring the unit out. Or turn the power off to the whole unit and pull the transformer and get a new one and then see what we have and if thats it. ED

Old 10-29-03, 10:21 AM
I suspect the problem is either with the wires you replaced or that the control transformer was burned when the wires got shorted. Like Ed is saying, you need to be able to trace voltage before you can pinpoint the problem.

Ken

Old 10-29-03, 10:30 AM
mustangsprings
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ed, I'm going to head into town and pick up a new transformer hook it up and see what happens.

Old 10-29-03, 10:38 AM
FURNACE

GET A ---multitester ---------- ALSO. Take it off so you are sure you get the same . For 220v or 110v and a 50 VA or better ED