Replace hot air furnace with a coal burner

Old 10-30-03, 08:35 AM
hillbilly_man33
Visiting Guest
Question Replace hot air furnace with a coal burner

I just bought a New Rice coal burner furnace to replace my existing forced hot air furnace. I was wondering if anyone has ever done this and what maybe involved in it..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-03, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question new set up

If you had duct work just tie the new furnace in to it. Run the cold air return to the blower. You need a fan control to put up in the plenum to turn the blower on and off if it dont have one. Dont know if you can find them anymore. But there is a tstat control for them . This will open the draft door and close the check on the smoke pipe. when you need more heat. Always keep the ashpit clean if you dont you will burn out the grates. ED

Old 10-30-03, 10:27 AM
hillbilly_man33
Visiting Guest
the model i got has a blower unit on it and does comes with a thermostat and barometric damper. Ty for the info Ed

Old 10-30-03, 10:52 AM
??????????????

I tried for there www cant come up with anything for the rice furnace. How does the tstat work the dampers? Do you have a www on this furnace would like to take a look at it . ED

Old 10-30-03, 11:10 AM
hillbilly_man33
Visiting Guest
Old 10-30-03, 11:28 AM
COAL FURNACE

Not much info there.See they said stokers that would be the tstat control but dont say anything about the blower. Also the blower will run on just batteries. Would ask do you have to pipe this furance then like an old gravitySet up. Can you get stoker coal there?Their oil stove with no electric ,that would just be an old pot burner as they are called ED

Old 10-30-03, 11:36 AM
hillbilly_man33
Visiting Guest
I got the coal furnace, 4ton of rice coal, some elbows, Barometric damper and Carbon monoxide detector for about $2600.00. I didnt buy the furnace on that site i got it at a local dealer here.

Old 10-30-03, 11:58 AM
Coal

They say stoker but then say keep ashpan clean. Stokers as I know them, you just take out a clinker to keep them clean. Now does it have a blower for the hot air and a blower for the stoker?The elbows are they for the smoke pipe then ? ED

Old 10-30-03, 12:04 PM
hillbilly_man33
Visiting Guest
the elbows are for the smoke pipe and it has a ashpan for clean out as far as i know the blower is for the hot air just like a forced hot air furnace.

Old 10-30-03, 12:21 PM
coal

With a stoker feed how does the ashpan get full? the stoker does have a worm drive and feed from the bottom of the fire????
ED