AC Condesate pomp hook-up

Old 08-31-00, 12:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I have just fixed the blower motor on my AC unit. I just bought the house (older home) and had not used the unit because of the blown motor. Well, now it works fine, but I am leaking water all over my basement floor. There is a condesate pump right by the inside blower. The pump has a drain line running to an existing floor drain. Also, there is a 1/2 inch ( I think ) PVC assembly which looks like it need to run from the drain plug on the AC and into the condesate pump. THe pump is also wired directly into my furnace/AC unit.

Question--how do I hook this thing up and turn it on? There doesn't appear to be an "On" switch, but the pump is not running either even though it is wired to the furnace blower which is running. Will hooking the pvc line from the drain of the AC to the condesate pum make the pump start working? Thanks for any help

Old 08-31-00, 12:54 PM
Visiting Guest
A drain line should run from the "drain plug on the AC" to the condensate pump. There should be a hole on top of the pump box for the drain line to go into. The condensate pump is activated by a float assembly inside the water box on the condensate pump. When the water rises to a predetermined level, the switch cuts the pump on and the water is then pumped to the floor drain.

Check the pipes to make sure they are not plugged up and if they are, clean them out or replace them. To check your condensate pump out, first cut the power to it and take the top off. You may need to clean it out. Make sure the float assembly is working by moving it up and down. Put it back together, cut the power on and pour some water in the inlet hole (enough to make the float activate the pump). If the pumps works, hook everything up and see if your problem is cured.

Don't forget to check the drain from the AC pan to make sure it is open.

Old 08-31-00, 01:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Sounds great, thanks.

Just to clear the last part up though, you said check to make sure the drain from the AC floor pan is not plugged. Assuming I am getting water draining out onto the floor, this is an indication I am not clogged correct? Or do I need to take the casing off the front of the blower unit and look inside. THanks, I am somewhat unfamiliar with AC's in general, but do understand about hooking the pump up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: