Torpedo Heater

Old 11-02-03, 03:58 PM
JoeE
Visiting Guest
Torpedo Heater

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this ......

I have a Remington 30,000btu Kerosene garage heater that has worked fine for the past 2 years, this year i filled it up and plugged it in and it would start ( but not ignite) and then the built in breaker would pop.....I took the top off and tried it again and it sem to be pumping fuel through the nozle but not igniting. I replaced the spark plug with no results...any sugestions??

Joe

Old 11-02-03, 04:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you take the fuel suction tube off and run it through a cycle, do you see spark at the plug? Test it however you can to make sure you have an ignition source first.

Old 11-02-03, 04:42 PM
JoeE
Visiting Guest
I could not see a spark at all.....I even turned the lights out to see if i was over looking it......

Old 11-02-03, 04:45 PM
That is what I thought. You probably have a bad ignition transformer. Can you locate it and do a little more thorough checking?

Old 11-02-03, 04:48 PM
JoeE
Visiting Guest
I am assuming it is the box located under the fan motor, the spark plug wire ends up there......not sure what else to test on it......any sugestions?......it looks like a sealed unit.....any idea how much this might cost to replace???

Old 11-02-03, 05:13 PM
No clue on cost but it takes 110 volts and turns it up to about 10,000. If you disect it, you should be able to take a couple of ohm readings to see if it is dead.

Old 11-02-03, 05:14 PM
JoeE
Visiting Guest
will tear into it tomorrow.......since its getting cold in the garage...thanx for the help......Joe

Old 11-03-03, 02:53 PM
frenchsparky
Visiting Guest
also check the photoeye on the burner housing too if that is dirty it can shut it off also too

merci , marc

p.s. i have few topedo heater too every year i clean the photoeye to make it work nice and have no troble at all and change nozzle too

Old 11-04-03, 09:01 AM
JoeE
Visiting Guest
Thanks Sparky, Will definatly clean the eye up, i have it torn apart on my workbench, and have priced the ignition box, $75 and some change.....yikes....will put all back together and try it out. Might be a year for a new heater since this one is almost 5 years old.....might be switching to Propane.....any thoughts???

Old 11-04-03, 03:12 PM
frenchsparky
Visiting Guest
there is pro and cons for using propane topedo heaters

pro :

they burn cleaner than oil heaters

cons;
have to use min of 20 pound lp tank but most lp heater manfactures required more larger one like 40 or 100 pounders tank espcally super cold weather due the reason of lp tank pressure is very low at very cold wether any colder than -35 or colder lp heater might not light off at all

all heater required some fresh air for ventation

merci , marc

there are few big box store can sell the heaters but look it over before you buy it

Old 11-16-08, 09:55 AM
E
torpedo heater issues

I have a 40,000 BTU Ford New Holland torpedo heater when I plug it in, i get the flame blowing out the end of if, was not sure if the eye was bad or what, any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 12-19-10, 10:08 AM
B
What is the eye and where is it located

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: