How to light Wall Heater Pilot Light

Old 11-07-03, 12:17 AM
lessingia
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb How to light Wall Heater Pilot Light

PG&E is backed up until the end of November to light Pilot lights. It cannot be that difficult to do; I am handy, but can't figure it out. It is a Westwood standard wall heater seen in many many apartments. There is a knob to turn on the pilot light which I turned to the on position, I opened the gas line, and lit a lighter at the pilot area, but nothing happened. Am I lighting in the wrong place? Any help would be great!

Sincerely,
Cold

Old 11-07-03, 04:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
When the knob is in the pilot position you either have to push the knob or a button down to get the fuel to flow through to the pilot. After the pilots flame lights you need to continue holding this knob or button down for 2-3 minutes then release it. If it don't stay lit repeat the process and hold it down a little longer. After it stays lit on its own turn the gas valve to on.

Safety 1st, Don't stand in front where the burners are and make sure the stat is turned down so when yo turn the gas valve to on it don't fire up unexpectantly.

Old 11-10-03, 01:03 AM
lessingia
Visiting Guest
Mattison

Thanks for your reply and good instructions. I had actually tried it just as you said before and it did not work; and now I retried and it still did not work. There is no button, but a dial that clearly states, "Off" "Pilot" and "On". I turned it first to Pilot and held it down for a while, but that did not work, then I turned it to on and that also did not work. I tried adjusting the valve on the gas-line to see if that had any impact, but also that did not work. Could the gasline be shut off outside of my apartment? Other apartments next door have that same heating units, and their's works. Perhaps, something is wrong with the heater itself? Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-10-03, 04:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If your pilots not lighting with the knob pushed in while holding some type of flame "match or lighter" where the pilot is supposed to be lit and it don't even light up it could be a few differant things.

1. Could be that the gas is off. Do you have a gas stove? Does it work?

2. Could be bad gas valve.

3. Could be clogged pilot tube.

Do you live in an apartment? If so can't maintenance repair it?

Old 11-13-03, 10:54 PM
lessingia
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your help! I'm going to have to deal with my landlord and figure out what's going on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: