Noisy Hot water Baseboard system

Old 11-15-03, 12:48 AM
allthumbs711
Visiting Guest
Noisy Hot water Baseboard system

My house came with a forced air system for heating and cooling. The kids rooms are over the garage, the area with least air and the coolest in the winter. We decided after trying many things to install baseboard heating to the kids rooms. Eventually we expanded and we pretty much heat the whole house with the baseboards.

The noise that we get in the kids room is very loud. The walls actually vibrate. The boiler is a Smith GB 100 w and the expansion tank is a Watts ET 15. These were actually replacements because of the noise problem and the expansion of the system.

The plumber who installed our system is beside himself in solving our problem. He is telling me that the radiators can not be bled because there aren't any valves on the radiators and that the expansion tank should take care of any air problem. I am confused because I am reading that the radiators should be bled.

Do valves need to be installed on the baseboard radiators? Would this solve my problem? The noise is not constant and is sometimes hard to replicate when the plumber is here. I think he thinks we are nuts although he has heard some noises when he is here. There are all sorts of noises, ticking and popping throughout the house. The kids get up at night because of the noise and this drives my wife and I crazy because they can't wake up in the morning. Any suggestions?

Old 11-15-03, 06:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nothing against plumbers but you need to get a good HVAC tech to look at it. If there truly isn't any bleeders on the system you may be able to put an auto vent on it somewhere.

Old 11-15-03, 06:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Question boiler

You said forced air system for heating and cooling. Then you talk about a boiler????????

Id ask why the plumber then didnt put a bleeder up there at the last and highest baseboard just to have one there. Dont cost that much when he but this all in.
All the noise ticking and poping. I d say he did a bad job here. Didnt let and room for the pipes to move around any when they go from hot to cool.
There are set ups to get the air out at the boiler and they work .But I still like bleeders at all the baseboard and radiators just to have them if need be. ED

Old 11-17-03, 08:40 AM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
The noise COULD be the result of the piping rubbing up against the framing members that it runs through or is attached to. As the piping and radiators heat up, they expand and lengthen. The lengthening may be causing rubbing, which can sound like clicks, pops and/or bangs.

Try this: On a cold day, ramp-up the heat so it is nice and toasty in the house (75). Turn the heat off (down to 60) and let the whole house cool down, so that the boiler and the piping all get to ambient temperature. After all is cool/cold to the touch, turn up the heat again. As the temperature of the system increases, listen for the noise. If this is what is causing the noise, you will be able to reproduce it for your plumber.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: